• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you buy this? *Pictures revealed*

36 posts in this topic

Assume for a minute that you were in the market for one of these. You stumble upon this listing on Ebay - a 1955 NGC MS-65 FBL Franklin Half. Assume further that the picture below was all you could see of the coin. Would you buy it? How much would you pay for it?

I have now added my pictures below the sellers pics. As you can see, it is quite attractive.

89760.jpg.05d0b563f99c1c2ca6e42e7b44024e07.jpg

89761.jpg.4bf0d9ad418e74e8625ef5d8ee7bfe1a.jpg

89774.jpg.a9b824884a255cf785c3f8390178acde.jpg

89775.jpg.9aa81a613844351d248a508ded3779c1.jpg

No, I wouldn't bid on it unless the seller would provide me with a reverse image.

Yes, the reverse picture shows up now. Technical malfunction.

Next, I'd request another reverse image that shows the bell lines (or lack thereof), as well as better shots of both sides. ;)

No, I wouldn't bid on it unless the seller would provide me with a reverse image.

Next, I'd request another reverse image that shows the bell lines (or lack thereof), as well as better shots of both sides. ;)

Assume the auction ends in 30 minutes and this is not an option ;)

Assume the auction ends in 30 minutes and this is not an option ;)

I'd bid at a level where I wouldn't feel too badly if the bell lines weren't really full and/or the coin looked worse in person. In other words, I'd be conservative.

The point of this thread is being able to evaluate sellers pictures, and using a little knowledge to purchase a coin. I'll disclose what the coin really looks like tomorrow morning - anyone else have an opinion of the coin based solely on the seller's pics first?

The sellers pics do not allow for a clear evaluation regarding FBL designation or MS65. You would be buying solely on your trust of NGC grading. If I was interested in this coin and the seller had a clear return option as you stated, I would buy the coin and examine in hand. If it met my expectation, fine. If not return it.

I would bid as close to Blue Sheet as possible. With those pics you're rolling the dice. If the bids go to Grey Sheet or higher you have to weigh the odds of lucking into a really nice coin versus the return cost.

A conservative bid is best. No way to evaluate that coin based on the pics.

How bout if it were a trade dollar with bad pics! ;)
What type of pictures other than bad, could there possibly be for those ugly Trade Dollars? :D
Come on Mark.... in all fairness there are the chamber pot varieties! ;)

The 1955 is pretty common in MS-65 and with FBL. I’d pay between $80 to $95 for this example based on the provided images. Using Condor’s slab guide, it appears this coin was holdered in 2004, so it is a rather recent grading. I see wagon wheel luster but the light balance is off on the images, it is washed out. Yeah, I’d buy this coin with the images provided, just about 99% of all auction transactions like this is nothing but a shoot. You have to put some trust into the company that certified the coin.

Note: the toning on this coin is not a determinate characteristic, it is acceptable but adds 0 eye appeal.

My interpretation of these images is that they were taken in direct sunlight and that this coin likely have stronger green color, and perhaps even some red color, mixed in with auburn. In my experience, the green and red combination is very tough on 1955 Franklins and this makes the coin potentialy quite nice to someone who values color very highly. Given a decent return policy, I doubt I would hesitate to bid on the coin.

TomB got it right, as always.

Nice pickup Jason ;)

The obverse toning looks to have nice rainbow toning, and knowing how to tell from bad pictures is the OP's objective here.

And yes, if I had seen it I would have bought it too.

How bout if it were a trade dollar with bad pics! ;)

A trade dollar with those pics and a return policy? Probably. But then again trade dollars don't have an artificial strike designator that adds huge multiples to the asking price for .01% of the total surface area, either. :-P

I'm sorry, but I honestly do not see why collectors get so excited about modern coins. Again, I do not mean to offend anyone, only speaking sincerely.

The pictures leave me cold, the toning from these pictures does nothing for me. As others have suggested request better pictures, otherwise pass or bid conservatively. Better yet, wait for a better example to come along.

Of course, TomB got it right! He saw exactly what I did, and that is why I bought the coin. The 1955 usually has an average strike, nothing special, nothing bad. When it is toned, it is usually very dark. Finding a 1955 with attractive, multicolored, rainbow toning, especially with reds or greens, is very difficult. As you can see, the strike on this coin is good, and the color is quite attractive. The only detriment is an ill-placed mark on his cheek, but otherwise flawless surfaces make up for it. For $85, I felt this was a great deal.

The toning is subtle and was hard to capture in pictures - I am not happy with these. In hand, pink transitions to blue, greens, yellows, and finally red at the edge.

My purpose in this thread was to show that being able to interpret pictures properly, and knowing strike and toning characteristics for the date, will give you a leg up. Even with obviously inferior pictures, I was able to buy an attractive and appealing coin.

89772.jpg.4b9edcc3c11d13af81a751a99ee27398.jpg

89773.jpg.3fc9ca5f21373dc3222f710141fcf5c1.jpg

My interpretation of these images is that they were taken in direct sunlight and that this coin likely have stronger green color, and perhaps even some red color, mixed in with auburn. In my experience, the green and red combination is very tough on 1955 Franklins and this makes the coin potentialy quite nice to someone who values color very highly. Given a decent return policy, I doubt I would hesitate to bid on the coin.

I agree and would buy a coin like that especially based on a crappy phot which looks to show some descent subdued toning. Price wise for me it's a coin I would pay around $80 bucks for so if you got it for less then I will feel it was a good snag. If the coin sold for more than a hundred then I would think that a bit steep unless the toning is much better then I am going to assume it is based on the photos.

I agree and would buy a coin like that especially based on a crappy phot which looks to show some descent subdued toning. Price wise for me it's a coin I would pay around $80 bucks for so if you got it for less then I will feel it was a good snag. If the coin sold for more than a hundred then I would think that a bit steep unless the toning is much better then I am going to assume it is based on the photos.

Glad to hear it! I paid $85, which is actually a bit low.

By the way, here is SkyMan's 1955, a PCGS 66-FBL. This coin is a perfect example of how 1955 and 1956 usually tone (although of course Sy's is more attractive than usual. ) They are usually rather dark, violet, blue, or burnt amber tones.

5798762R.jpg

Nice coin. I can not tell from your picture, is this coin a true FBL ?

Yes, it is. Look at the hair details, Pass And Stow, the eagle's feathers, and also the bell lines. They are all sufficiently detailed to say this is a good strike.