• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michigan Masters Numismatic Services - A new 3rd party grading service

20 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen coins slabbed from the Michigan Masters Numismatic Services? MMNS Website

If so, how would you rate the accuracy of their grading? hm

Is it possible for any new grading service to gain traction and respectability in today's market place?

How would they go about it?

In my personal collection, I would rank NCG #1, ANACS #2, PCGS #3 and ICG #4

Is it possible for any new grading service to gain traction and respectability in today's market place?

How would they go about it?

In theory yes, if the backers have a deep enough pocket and are willing lose enough money to try it. Its the same in any business that challenges the industry leaders.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking around the site but what I did see is there "breaking news" about there new "halo360" slab. At first it sounded more like a xbox game then a slab but I thought to be fair I would check the slab out to see what it looked like but I was not able to see any photos of it. I can deal with a new company not having the funds for a website with the graphics but why would you make a big deal about a slab and then not show it off? To me I am thinking that if this was as good as they claim it is then it would be all over every page.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking around the site but what I did see is there "breaking news" about there new "halo360" slab. At first it sounded more like a xbox game then a slab but I thought to be fair I would check the slab out to see what it looked like but I was not able to see any photos of it. I can deal with a new company not having the funds for a website with the graphics but why would you make a big deal about a slab and then not show it off? To me I am thinking that if this was as good as they claim it is then it would be all over every page.

I was thinking the same thing when I seen the breaking news section.

So I searched and searched to find out what the slab looked like and I have still not been able to find it. (shrug)

Quote from their website:

"Check back often as we are preparing to showcase our state of the art Coin Slab, along with much more company information, in the days to come."

Evidently, they will have pictures of the slab at some point in the future.

I dont see a real big deal on the type of slab. I did notice two things after looking in their "grading" section. They are not charging extra money for assigning say a Vam for Morgan dollars or other attributes. According to the website they will do this automatically. The second thing is that if there is a "detail" grade such as being "cleaned" they will also assign a grade such as "lightly cleaned MS65".

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I see Daniel "Tiny" Cross appears on the home page. At the very least they keep good company.

But if a coin is lightly cleaned is it still an MS65?

That would be like stating, "lightly circulated, MS65". "Lightly tooled, MS65". Don't tell me what the coin could have been had it not been for the problem, tell me what the coin is with the problem.

I lost interest after reading that...

MMNS has been around for about a year now. I first ran into them at the Michigan state show last November and they were also set up at Central States in Cincinnati this past March. I have a sample slab from last year and one of their previous slabs. I haven't seen their new "halo360" slab.

I wish they had shown a picture of th whole slab, I suspect what you see in the picture is NOT what you will see in the actual slab. (They make it look like you will see the entire edge of the coin when you are looking at the face of the coin. I suspect in reality they have just suspended the coin from three much smaller clear pegs that don't overlap the rim of the coin.)

Good day fellow Numismatist,

I would like to apologies for the delay in the reply to your post. We have been very busy with a rather large back log along with preparing to attend the MSNS Michigan State Numismatic Society coin show at the Dearborn Hyatt. Our delay on displaying our new coin slab was due to getting our prototypes ready for advertisements and for the MSNS show. Each halo 360 has been hand made until our mold is finished.

I decided to make a call while I was writing this and you are the first to hear, the mold will be done before Christmas! We have posted a photo on our site http://www.mmnscoin.com for the public to see. It's still a bit of a weak photo but does show how the Halo 360 will look. It's a dual refracting mirror so you will read what the coin says. Others that has yet to see it compared it to the old flashlight leans trick. Far from that! The flashlight trick is one projection and reads backwards. Our Ring is a dual projection and you read it as if you're looking at the edge of the coin. The product is made of the same material as the slab and is coin friendly.

O.K. now to answer the question that everyone has been asking. When will PCGS, NGC, ANACS or ICG start using this product? They CAN'T, the Patent is owned by two individuals in Michigan. They have a verbally agreement to allow MMNS individual rights to the Halo 360. MMNS will be signing a contract with them in the next few days making MMNS the only grading house to use the Halo.

We had shown the Halo 360 at the MSNS show and had no less of a response then WOW! No fingers or obstructions while viewing the coins edge. Gold collectors found this very exciting along with the other collectors of the Presidential dollars. We believe this will become a standard holder for the very serious and beginning collectors.

We look forward to the years end release of the mold and go straight into mass production as long as we have no issues with the mold. I thank you for your request for information and I hope you'll visit our website to see the latest photos of the Halo 360.

Have a great day and keep a lookout for the new ring in local dealers stores in the very near future.

I dont remember if their example was the MS65 or I used it. Their ad was that they use a grade with the details where the other services dont use a grade at all and use " genuine" and "lightly or harshly cleaned". etc. My sense was that they were merely filling in the gaps not offered by the others and were having a slab with a new "halo" etc.