• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA Morgan Dollar.

8 posts in this topic

I am curious about something. On an auction site I saw an NGC slab and the slab stated that it was an " ex GSA Dollar". Does this mean that the person who sent it in did not want the origianal Security band etc? How else would you know that it was a GSA CC Morgan dollar unless submitted in its orginal container/ Does it have the same value and registry points as a GSA?

It likely pre-dated the time when NGC added bands to the original GSA holders. In those days people would submit the GSA holder, NGC would crack it out and grade it. The band came about later. But it is still a customer option to have it cracked out.

NWCS has it right, and to continue the answer I would say that no it would NOT have the same value or registry points (assuming there is a difference in point value for a government GSA holder.)

There is a big difference between say a 1978 CC in a slab and a 1978 CC of the same grade in a GSA Box as far a registry points are concerned.I would also assume price. I just picked up an 1880CC MS 63 PL GSA in its original holder with the NGC security strip etc for $569.00. I ran the number before purchasing and NGC/Numismedia gas it at $950.00. I know the registry points are much more and I am pretty sure that a non GSA in a slab is not $950.00. This was the first I had seen with a slab with the "ex GSA" notation. I should have ran it then but I had to leave. It would seem to me that it would still be a choice if somebody wanted to keep them all in uniform slabs say in a storage box instead of storing them in their original black box in a separate location. I can understand the slab before NGC decided the present situation and just wanted to know if they kept the same values.Thanks for the responses.

IMO, once a Morgan leaves its OGP black pack, it is no longer a GSA dollar. With the premium on GSA's in their OGP, I wonder how many "GSA Morgans" in old NGC or any PCGS slabs are really GSA Morgans. Just my opinion, but only 2 years ago an NGC registry set of "Carson City Morgans in GSA Holders Only" could have PCGS "GSA" Morgans included. That is no longer the case. Perhaps there was some doubt even on NGC's part.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

I don't think there is any reasonable doubt. They would only put GSA on the label if the grading company did the cracking out first or if it was crossed over from a reputable slab where it had the label. The coin is the coin regardless but I do think there is a little extra in having it in the original holder but that's me.

It was an NGC holder and it had "ex GSA" on the holder. I did get an 1884 CC in the original holder without the box but you can buy the empty boxes on E bay so I just picked one up. This would open up another line of thought. How did one obtain all the empty boxes. I cant see just leaving them out in the open certified or not without the box.

How did one obtain all the empty boxes.

By cracking the coins out of the GSA holders for grading by PCGS or at NGC before they started grading them in the government holders