• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost Image of Lincoln... Pictures...

7 posts in this topic

I made a post while back about some interesting error cents I had gotten awhile back.... They were in these old mylar 2x2's and it was hard to see them in the flips... I guess from them being in there so long... Well I ask about a ghost Image of Lincoln and since it was in the flip I could not see anything at all... A reply was made saying this could be caused by the dies banging together and leaving an impression on the other side of the die.. Well I took it out the flip today to see if that would help .. Well the glare was taken out and now I can see him..... Here are the pictures....

f9d709f9.jpg

Hre is the back with Lincoln outlined.....

f9d709f6.jpg

I guess the outline helps pick him out... This error is a cool one I think.

After taking some time this morning to go through about 500 Wheats. I discoved that this sort of die clash was done in many years... I pulled out about 18 of these. They all have simular markings... So how common was this really?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I don't believe that's a die clash. It's more likely sinking of the die through extensive use. The pattern of Lincoln's bust appears because the reverse die encounters less resistance to distortion in areas that are opposite the obverse die cavity. That permits the steel of the reverse die to slowly give way through repeated use, forming a ghost image of the obverse.

This phenomenon doesn't seem to occur anymore, because the dies are now in such low relief.

any added value?

No, not really. Here's what a clashed die error coin looks like. A coin I was considering but decided not, for the later date. What you have is a common occurance, subsequencely why you have so many. Personally, I consider this a flaw in a strike and steer clear of such coins. But yet, they get certified and fetch sucker money. I'd show you the same problem with Jefferson nickels but you can easily check your pocket change.

Leo