• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Staining?

6 posts in this topic

I have a Peace dollar in a NGC holder that is listed as stained. It has a couple of lines across the obverse that looks like there might have been a piece of tape on the coin at one time. What does NGC consider the term staining to mean, wouldn't these so-called stains just be unusual toning?

Thanks!

From what I gather staining refers to any unnatural surface improprieties. Last year I submitted what I thought to be a MS65 1860 Indian head cent which I purchased at a Heritage auction in the 1980's. There was minimal discoloration which I thought was just planchet impurities, it came back body bagged as stained. I think stained is a catchall for anything they can't identify on the surface of a coin

I have a Peace dollar in a NGC holder that is listed as stained. It has a couple of lines across the obverse that looks like there might have been a piece of tape on the coin at one time. What does NGC consider the term staining to mean, wouldn't these so-called stains just be unusual toning?

Thanks!

Stained does not describe surface contamination or residue. A coin is considered stained when the surfaces have been etched by toning to the point where the color ro haze cannot be removed, hense the term "stained." Its a chemical reaction that has eaten into the metal.

What I say is correct, but you have changed it slightly. If the toning cannot be removed, that means it has etched into the surface enough that it leaves a stain. That is when you have a "stained" coin. Not all toning results in that. Toning is a chemical deterioration of the coins surface--it is equivelant to rust on iron. That doesn't mean that light toning isn't desirable. But, when toning become heavy and dark, it begins to deeply and permanently damage the underlying surfaces. Coins with black toning will grade lower automotically. And, if those coins were dipped, they would bodybag for staining.