• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What causes a Coin to turn Colors in a Slab?

12 posts in this topic

I bought this coin off ebay like a year ago... It is 2001 New York Qtr in ANACS MS 65 with Machine doubling... for really cheap... Well it was a nice white when I recieved it.. but in the time I have had it .. it has turned gold inside the slab. It was under normal conditions as well. What cuases something like this?

f9da1323.jpgf9da1328.jpgf9da1303.jpgf9da1321.jpg

Dennis and I have discussed this many times before, and both believe that the plastic used to manufacture slabs is NOT inert. It may not react easily with metal, but perhaps it will with contaminants on the metal. I'd guess there was some sort of transparent residue on the coin that is now reacting with gases given off by the plastic. Just a shot in the dark....

James

I don't think it's the slab, probably the planchet wasn't risned properly and surface contaminants caused the toning. I've sent in 2003 D Lincoln cents for slabbing and a couple were toning when I got them back. I suppose they could have gotten exposed to moisture somehow, but they weren't spotted, just starting to tone.

I don't think it's the slab, probably the planchet wasn't risned properly and surface contaminants caused the toning. I've sent in 2003 D Lincoln cents for slabbing and a couple were toning when I got them back. I suppose they could have gotten exposed to moisture somehow, but they weren't spotted, just starting to tone.

I agree. Otherwise you'de be seeing a much larger percentage of holdered coins turning if the plastic was to blame. It could also be a poor dipping before the coin is submitted.

It's likely that there was some residue on the coin when it was slabbed and much less likely that the plastic itself has been the cause of any of the toning.

tomb has hit the nail on the head so to speak

an interesting chance thread for me based on my experiences the last few days

it is not the slab it is the coin there was something on the coin and then it finally reacted with the metal on the coin in the holder

I HAVE many slabs with state quarters in them i got newly slabbed about a year ago ngc/pcgs that were blast white mintstate coins

i just looked at them a few days ago and some were yellow/golden just like your state quarters

the mint pushing out all of the state quarters close to a billion a year the coins have oil/machine shop residue on them a thin almost impreseptable amount and when slabbed after a few months the residue reacts with the coin itself

and of course the sealed airtight/almost airtight holder accelrates the process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you are going to send in any state quarters mintstate from rolls then you need to at room temp rinse them with some light soap in distilled water then rinse them again three times in distilled water finally rince them in baking soda to neutralize the process then rince again three times with distilled water and let them properly dry for a week or so at room temp and then send them in to get graded

but if you buy them already graded let the buyer beware

michael

i agree with mdwoods as per the above!!!! well said!!!!!!!

michael

now will this happen to all of them all the time no some of them some of the time yes!!!!

but just the luck of the draw you pays your money and you takes your chances

michael

then rince again three times with distilled water

you remind me of when I was a graduate student washing glassware.

We were working with enzymes, neuropeptides and neurotransmitters.

glassware got rinsed three times in distilled water after an acid, then soap and water cleaning, and if an experiment failed, we blamed the distilled water!!!

But yes, I agree with the opinion of residue on the coin changing in the almost airtite environment of the slab and not a reaction from the plastic in the holder itself.

perhaps an alcohol rinse.