• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

advise please on NewP

16 posts in this topic

Advise on this new purchase.....This is a 47-D walker. It's a 67*. This is tuffer coin then one would think.

PCGS pop is 8 with none higher

NGC pop is 36 with none higher

5 stars at this level

PCGS price is $9,000 for a 67

NGC price is $2,300

This coin did CAC

What would you do?

Leave it be

Try to cross in holder

Try to cross buy cracking it?

Thanks for looking. MJ

1257739106.jpg

1257739106-1.jpg

If you are not going to try and sell it soon, I say leave it. As ugly as the prongs are, there is no real reason to cross it.

I mean, if its really a dilemma for you, you could just send it to me. I need a Walker for type, and that looks like a mighty nice one :)

Looks like an amazing coins....I also would leave it in it's current holder if you are planning to hold on to it. If you are planning to sell then I would send it to PCGS in the currenty holder with no expectations that it would cross but I would not crack it. The price difference is just to great to not try to get the coin into PCGS plastic prior to selling.

I am of the opinion that the vast majority of time PCGS will not cross because that would confirm that NGC graded the coin correctly in their eyes, which they don't like to admit.....but hey that's just my opinion lol

My thoughts mirror most of yours

1) I'm a sucker for star coins. I've accumulate them somehow

2) While this coin is CAC'd I don't think it has the dripping luster PCGS wants in 67's

3) No intentions to sell it. I just bought it : )

4) When it comes to sell time, I guess I should try to cross it on a dollar and cents basis if nothing changes

5) I'm close to completing the short set and a little further away from the long set. While, I was never interested in registry sets when I started I did notice that I'd be up there and the bonus star points do add up.......

Thanks for the imput!!!..................MJ

As a general principle, I think crossing "star" coins is a losing proposition. That designation is aggressively sought in the marketplace.

Whats funny is there is a ton of folks that will disagree with you James.....I however am not one of them. When I sell star coins they always sell for much higher prices then none stared coins with similar color :devil:

As a general principle, I think crossing "star" coins is a losing proposition. That designation is aggressively sought in the marketplace.

Whats funny is there is a ton of folks that will disagree with you James.....I however am not one of them. When I sell star coins they always sell for much higher prices then none stared coins with similar color :devil:

I think it depends on the coin itself AND the market prices/values for PCGS VS. NGC examples.

For example, for MS67 1947-D Walkers, PCGS ones typically sell for more than 5X what NGC ones do. And that price discrepancy easily trumps any added value of the NGC star.

If we were talking about a common date MS66 or MS67 Walker or Morgan dollar, I'd probably rather have an NGC star example than a PCGS one at the same grade. But in the case of an MS67 1947-D Walker, like it or not, the PCGS holder adds much more value than an NGC star would.

Based on the above, if I owned it, I'd try to cross it. I say that despite the fact that I rarely try to cross coins and wouldn't expect it to cross. And I definitely wouldn't risk cracking it out, no matter how wonderful I thought it was. If it didn't cross, I'd enjoy it as is - it's a great looking coin!.

There is absolutely No Way I would crack that coin...

The strike on that coin is crazy weak...

Seriously.... Didn't Miss Liberty have any fingers??

Granted ,,It's a pretty coin but I can't see another 67 in it's future..

I guess I will wait for the window in time when an Albanese blessed NGC coin will cross more readily. That day is not today......................until then it's a 67* CAC coin which I knowingly loved and purchased as such .............As Mark stated though,it's tough to ignore the monetary spread at sale time................MJ

I guess I will wait for the window in time when an Albanese blessed NGC coin will cross more readily. That day is not today......................until then it's a 67* CAC coin which I knowingly loved and purchased as such .............As Mark stated though,it's tough to ignore the monetary spread at sale time................MJ
I understand..

But before you think of cracking or resubmitting I personally would look through heratiges auction archives and compare yours to other coins graded by pcgs and do an objective comparison...

NGC,PCGS and the CAC may have 3 completely different criteria...

I understand..

But before you think of cracking or resubmitting I personally would look through heratiges auction archives and compare yours to other coins graded by pcgs and do an objective comparison...

NGC,PCGS and the CAC may have 3 completely different criteria...

I wouldn't crack it in today's market for sure. The strike is better then the picture captures especially in the hand area where it's obscured by the toning.....My worry would be that it doesn't have quite have the booming luster PCGS wants today. I would think it would be worth the risk to try to cross it in holder just for the $7,000 difference in price. Little risk, high reward. I've seen lesser coins of all series in various PCGS 67 holders from time to time. FYI- I've never cracked or submitted a coin.................MJ

Advise on this new purchase.....This is a 47-D walker. It's a 67*. This is tuffer coin then one would think.

PCGS pop is 8 with none higher

NGC pop is 36 with none higher

5 stars at this level

PCGS price is $9,000 for a 67

NGC price is $2,300

This coin did CAC

What would you do?

Leave it be------------------------------------------YES MOST OF THIS COINS VALUE IS IN THE HOLDER

Try to cross in holder---------------------------------------nope---will NOT cross at 67 i guess there is a one in a million chAnce it will cross

Try to cross buy cracking it?----------------------------------------NO if you crack it the coin will likely grade ms66 at pcgs and OUTSIDE possibly ms 65