• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back to ducats

6 posts in this topic

This is one I do not own - although I hope to soon 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I am posting it in the hope that I can present truthteller with a bit more of a challenge 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Besides being beautiful - this coin is dated in a rather unusual way. Do you know what it is ?

edit - what is it with the image problems all of a sudden ?????

This had me stumped for about 15 minutes. At first, I thought Italian states, but the coat of arms are definitely German states. Noribergensis led me to Nuremburg, the rest was simple.

Could it be 1700 ducat Nurnberg, German States. Looks like a nice CH AU or better. XF$500? Date in chronogram, meaning date in sentence structure in the legend.

Just a guess. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Nice challenge.

TRUTH

Another great looking ducat!

You're world gold collection must really be something special. How long have you been collecting historial gold?

-JamminJ

Another great looking ducat!

You're world gold collection must really be something special. How long have you been collecting historial gold?

-JamminJ

Thanks JJ - a very nice compliment even if undeserved. It is quite special to me but at this point would not likely be to many others for I have not been working on it that long. I have been studying world gold for several years now but only began to purchase them last year.

If you haven't noticed ( would be hard not to ) I have a particular attraction to ducats but I am by no means beyond purchasing other denominations as long as they meet my criteria. Simply put that is a design that appeals to me. And if they are unusual, scarce or rare - that is just icing on the cake wink.gif