• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883cc and 1884cc GSA dollars

10 posts in this topic

Picked up a couple of ungraded GSA dollars this week and thought I'd share them. Nice crescent and die cracks, too! I actually prefer the ungraded GSA dollars to the ones graded by NGC even though they are left in the holders. It's the originality-ish angle I think. I've got an 1882cc that's coming likely tomorrow. Just thought I'd share. :)

88895.jpg.4fd619736220034715e75d084fa95d3f.jpg

88896.jpg.190ce9fc65881e9bc47d720cd560227f.jpg

I wonder how the 1883 toned like that in the GSA holder. Quite attractive really in a subtle way.
It toned in the original mint bag but had a coin on top (over the white area) which caused the crescent shape. The obverse must have been completely covered to not show any toning.

Which brings me to another point on AT. Are the people who bought original Morgan Bags and stored their Morgans or whatever coin in them doctors? I mean, you know they did that intentionally. So what does that say about half the Morgans out there that were intentionally put into original mint bags for that purpose?

In my opinion if the toning occurred due to slow means (meaning it took place over a long period of time) it's market acceptable even if someone set up the situation to be favorable to that occurring The risk of it not turning out nicely and the time factor are keys in that statement. People who apply chemicals, heat, and other things to get rapid results are those who are producing what I think of as market unacceptable toning.

Or to put it simply, when the toning took a short cut I see it as unacceptable. When the toning happened over time then it's acceptable -- but may not be desirable.

Which brings me to another point on AT. Are the people who bought original Morgan Bags and stored their Morgans or whatever coin in them doctors? I mean, you know they did that intentionally. So what does that say about half the Morgans out there that were intentionally put into original mint bags for that purpose?

Since the most recent release of Morgan bags by the Treasury Department occurred 40+ years ago, I would hardly think that the original purchasers were envisioning that toned coins would become so popular 30+ years later.

Chris

Since the most recent release of Morgan bags by the Treasury Department occurred 40+ years ago, I would hardly think that the original purchasers were envisioning that toned coins would become so popular 30+ years later.

Chris

It's even more complicated than that. The original GSA releases had a couple of different kinds of holders. White or mostly white coins went into a holder that said "Uncirculated Silver Dollar." Toned coins went into a similar holder that had no mention of the word "Uncirculated," presumably along with any circulated coins in the release. Apparently, in the 1970s, not only did nobody know that the toned coins would become popular, they didn't even know that the coins were uncirculated!

My story behind this -- I was at a meeting of Numismatics International, a Dark Side club national in scope but based out of Dallas. One of the other members brought out some coins that he wanted me to look at with the idea that he'd be sending the most appropriate ones to NGC. One of them was a common date CC dollar, toned on one side, in a GSA holder that omitted the word "Uncirculated", and he wanted to know what I thought. My response was that it most definitely was an uncirculated coin -- and that it was a high grade piece with a shot at a star designation to boot!

It came back MS65. No star, but a very nice piece. :)