• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1839/1839 half dime

3 posts in this topic

While I was looking through Heritage weekly internet auction whitch closed this Tuesday, I came across this coin.

It's a 1839 half dime in NGC61 but don't you see doubling(repunching?) in all 4 digits? I checked my books("complete guide to liberty seated half dime" and "breen")but there wasn't such variety listed. There do exist 1839/39(repunched 39), but from the image, I also see doubling in the first 18. When this coin was being auctioned, I could also use their pan/zoom feature and could see larger image and I was quite sure(at least at that time) there are doubling in all digits. I may be wrong, but the price went stronger than it should for the grade($299 and according to cdn, it's quite close to MS63 value whitch is $320) and it's possible some other bidders also saw something in the image. I outbid highest bidder in last 20 minuts and got outbid by someone in the last 13 minuts 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Any thought? Does anyone know about 1839/1839? My brain is getting old, but I think I have heared/seen this variety before....

Anyway, I wanted to make a post related to half dime because no one really post about this series wink.gif371607-1839%20half%20dime.jpg

589a8bbfbb8e5_371607-1839halfdime.jpg.a4f46a1e62a74208fd9cecd40e558c76.jpg

This is a well-known variety, and not very rare in my opinion, though it does command a premium. I have handled at least a couple of them that I remember, and only got maybe a 15% premium over book value. As I recall, one example we handled was about MS-63.

Good eye!

James

Thanks for the info James.

Do you have a book or writings whitch reffer to this variety?

I want to study more about seated half dimes, but as many people say, "complete guide to seated half dimes" is a bit obsolete...