• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speaking of strange quarters...

9 posts in this topic

Was given this one at work several weeks ago. Didn't think too much of it at the time...looked like someone had taken a file to it.

371429-unk%20001.jpg371431-unk%20002.jpg

But after looking a LOT closer...

371432-unk%20003.jpg371455-unk.jpg

You can clearly see where in both rim areas, that the copper from the reeded edge is folded down over the filed area. IMO, it would be virtually impossible to file it down this near the edge and still leave enough of the edge to fold down on top of the filed area. AND there are no vise marks on the reeded edge. It is still in good shape. No flattened areas opposite each other that you would expect to find had it been in a vise to do the filing. The long vertical "trench" area in front of George looks like a round file was used to create it. But there are no file marks anywhere on the entire surface that I can see under 30X. It is all smooth. Doesn't mean they weren't worn away from handling, but SOME sign of filing should be there IMO and it isn't.

Anyone got an idea? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

mad.gif Thanks, Hoot! 893frustrated.gif Just the kind of answer I guess I should have expected from someone sooner or later! smirk.gif

By the way, how many NICKELS did you destroy? I think I went thru about a dozen trying to make a two headed Jeff! grin.gifgrin.gif

NICKELS! NEVER! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif I mostly had cents in my sights - I blew them up, ran them over (repeatedly), hit them with various tools, holed them, filed them, put them on the tracks, painted them, shot them, put them in acid, put them in paint remover laugh.gif, burned them, torched them, bent them, shaped them into gears, electricuted them, threw them, fired them from sling shots, used them as screwdrivers, locked my brothers in rooms with them insane.gif893naughty-thumb.gifinsane.gif, flushed them, skipped them on water, threw them off bridges, put them under windshield wipers of unsuspecting victims, etc., etc....... but I never swallowed them to the best of my recollection. (They should come with warning labels attached sumo.gif).

sleeping.gifboo.gifflamed.gifforeheadslap.gifhi.gifpopcorn.gifjuggle.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifthumbsup2.gifdevil.gifangel.gifflowerred.gifnews.gifgossip.gifsorry.giftonofbricks.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifsign-funnypost.gifcloud9.gifacclaim.gifshy.gifinsane.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifsign-offtopic.gif893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gifsign-rantpost.gifwink.gifgrin.gifcrazy.gifblush.giffrown.gifooo.gif

smile.gif Hoot

WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!!!! shocked.gif

You WILL be getting a visit shortly from the mint police (also known as the MIMS (men in 'mint suits') 27_laughing.gif, after I email a copy of your post to them! gossip.gif

You WILL get your just rewards (desserts?---penny pies?) for such dastardly doings to those poor little things!

Wonder if any of them were MS69RD 1909-S VDBs?

893scratchchin-thumb.gifshocked.gifmakepoint.gif

If I tried to spend that.... The clerk would give me some funny look and ask for an American coin... No vending machine would take it as seeing how much of the coin is left... its not even half as think as a regular nickel.. this thing is just really messed up