• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's play a game of guess the grade....Frankie Style

9 posts in this topic

Just got these three coins back from PCGS and I must say I was off on 2 of the 3 grades. I consider myself a very good grader when it comes to frankies and I am usually spot on with this series when I submit to NGC....but in this case.....the grades were different then I expected. I am not saying the grades were bad or inaccurate at all as they were quite good....just saying that I don't have a feel for PCGS's standards. So let's see if you can figure out what PCGS graded these little Mint Set beauties... :banana:

coin #1

MintsetFrankies003.jpg

MintsetFrankies013.jpg

coin #2

MintsetFrankies018.jpg

MintsetFrankies020.jpg

coin #3

MintsetFrankies018-1.jpg

MintsetFrankies008.jpg

hm hm hm hm hm hm

I would not be surprised at all if they called all of them 66, although the top one looks more like a 65. I'm also guessing they called all of them FBL, but only the top one has a shot in my book.

I think I like the second one the best. The reverse of the first one is unattractive although the obverse is great. The third one doesn't do it for me.

ok...here goes and thank you all for playing along.

I graded coin #1 MS65 FBL

#2 MS65 FBL

#3 MS66

PCGS graded the coins....

Coin #1 MS66 FBL

pcgs019.jpg

pcgs021.jpg

pcgs006.jpg

pcgs007.jpg

coin #2 MS65 FBL

pcgs015.jpg

pcgs014.jpg

pcgs010.jpg

pcgs011.jpg

coin #3 MS65

pcgs024.jpg

pcgs025.jpg

pcgs002.jpg

pcgs003.jpg

So I was a bit surprised about the grades for 1 & 3 as I graded them in reverse as coin #3 looks to have the cleanest surfaces but the least desirable of the toning patterns so ? lol

I like the 2nd coin!!

I graded all of the coins MS65 with the top one being FBL.

edit.....Shane you sure posted the grades fast.

Once I posted over on PCGS.....I didn't want anyone cheating (tsk)

lol lol lol lol