• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do I deal with a non-paying buyer??

18 posts in this topic

I had a buyer win an auction of mine. Got a Jefferson real checp. With s&h less than $4. Well the buyer won this last sunday. I sent a reminder email on Wednesday:

Dear sebell970,

Just wondering if you are still interested in this item. Thank you! Bobby

- bsshog40

Never heard from the buyer. I sent this one yesterday (sat):

Dear sebell970,

I don't know if you received my last email but I was wondering if you were going to pay for this item. It will be a week tomorrow and I'm being patient. I hope to hear from you soon! Bobby

- bsshog40

Still haven't heard from the buyer. Any suggestions on what I should do? I've never had this problem before. thanks!

My routine is if I haven't received payment in 1 week I have eBay send a new invoice. That is an option on eBay. Then I wait one more full week. If not paid I file a non-paying-bidder form. That will either wake up the buyer right away or it won't. If not just wait until eBay grants you a refund on final value fees and re-list.

As an example an auction ends today, Sunday. If not paid by a week from tomorrow (Mon the 2nd) I send the 2nd invoice. If not paid by Monday the 9th I file a non-paying bidder form. Then I wait however long eBay says.

These days eBay pushes everybody to pay by PayPal so I guess the time spans could be shortened a bit, but I haven't shortened mine yet.

Most recently a fellow forgot to send me a money order. He left on vacation. When he returned he responded to the NPB right away. He seemed sincere so fine I just waited a bit more and the MO arrived so then, and only then, did I send the coin.

Also recently eMail I sent to a client was trashed by his overly zealous spam detector. So it is best if eBay sends the invoice reminder. They will already have set things up so eBay mail can get through.

If they got it "real cheap" then I would think you would be happy to keep it. If that's the case, then why push the issue?

Because the person bid, the person won, and I feel I should try to do what I can to make sure my end of the process is completed to the best of my ability.

Your being to cordial, well at first it's OK, but your follow up e-mail should be a bit more firmer:

Hey Seabisket! Youse won dis Jefferson Nick from me da udder day and I wanna know when youse gonna pay for dis thing here.

Eddie "Bone Crusher" is gittin ansty to make a house call, I'll keep him at bay as long as you e-bay me a payment, kapish?

BossHogg

Well, this is why I can't and don't sell on e-bay anymore, clowns like this buyer come out of the woodwork. Do as Carl suggested...pay no attention to me.

Your being to cordial, well at first it's OK, but your follow up e-mail should be a bit more firmer:

Hey Seabisket! Youse won dis Jefferson Nick from me da udder day and I wanna know when youse gonna pay for dis thing here.

Eddie "Bone Crusher" is gittin ansty to make a house call, I'll keep him at bay as long as you e-bay me a payment, kapish?

BossHogg

Well, this is why I can't and don't sell on e-bay anymore, clowns like this buyer come out of the woodwork. Do as Carl suggested...pay no attention to me.

:signfunny:

That's odd Bobby, as this person has won 4 other auctions on the 22nd and 24th and paid in a very timely manner according to his feedback. I would do as previously suggested. Wait until a total of 10 days since the auction and ask Ebay to contact him as a possible nopay. That should bring them around. This bidder is a newbie with just a few feedbacks, so they may learn to do better.

Good luck,

Jim

I agree with Wooden Jefferson---Bust his a*s. No excuse for not paying promptly for a lower value bid. Any bid for that manner. His Momma didn't teach him properly. Give him a 24 hour countdown. No positive response--burn him.

And now for our listening audience here's Debbie Harry with "I'm Gonna Get Ya".

Darn it, can't post the link.

That's odd Bobby, as this person has won 4 other auctions on the 22nd and 24th and paid in a very timely manner according to his feedback. I would do as previously suggested. Wait until a total of 10 days since the auction and ask Ebay to contact him as a possible nopay. That should bring them around. This bidder is a newbie with just a few feedbacks, so they may learn to do better.

Good luck,

Jim

Yea I noticed that Jim. I was looking at his feedback since my auction and he's paid for other auctions.

I haven't run into this problem yet. I do more buying than selling though.I have had people ignore reminders until they feel good and ready to pay. If you don't get acknowledgement by 7-10 days file the npb. By the way,I really don't mind if it takes a week or two to pay AS LONG AS THEY TELL ME!! Being in the dark is the worst.

I haven't run into this problem yet. I do more buying than selling though.I have had people ignore reminders until they feel good and ready to pay. If you don't get acknowledgement by 7-10 days file the npb. By the way,I really don't mind if it takes a week or two to pay AS LONG AS THEY TELL ME!! Being in the dark is the worst.

Sounds like you are a very reasonable seller. Most of the problems in eBay transactions come down to poor communication.

Well after 2 emails, 2 invoices sent, and a polite message on his answering machine after getting contact info from ebay, still no payment. I decided to file a non-payment against the buyer.

I had a situation about a year ago where I mailed the seller a check as I wanted the coin and he did not accept pay pal. I mailed it right away.When the time was up this clown filed a non payment on me.This guy even sent me an E- Mail thanking me for my prompt payment. I was really upset when Ebay notified me of the non payment being filed and I sent Ebay a copy of the Email. The guy never apologized and just responded to E bay that he made a mistake in not looging the check. How do you make a mistake when you send an e-mail thanking you fror the payment. Ebay refused to remove the non payment complaint so I gave negative feedback that the guy took my money , sent me an email thanking me for it and then filed a non payment form after 10 days. The guy then got upset with me and replied that I was a poor ebayer etc. I had another incient with TRB coins so I quit ebay. Just went back as I am in to buying Morgans again if I can get a good purchase. It might be my imagination but it seems as though things have improved since "Meg" has departed. They have a large digital countdown clock after the auction gets down to one hour and every purchase I have made I have received a "thank you " e mail from the seller with a tracking number of the package and to contact the seller if there is any problems etc.

Well I do know that I have made enough attempts via 3 different methods that the seller should have known of the problem by now. Also, the buyer has 4 feedbacks dated after the winning auction of mine showing prompt payment for these items. Now unless the buyer paid for these before my item and the sellers left feedback later, then maybe there's been an emergency or vacation that came up. I have received no communication of any type from the buyer since the auction has ended on 10/18. I think ebay gives me a couple weeks before I have to continue further action. I'm not worried too much about the $ as I am just forgetting the whole deal and then, them coming back on me for the aucttion. I don't care if I just have to throw it back in a drawer, I would just like to hear from him and find out what he wants to do.