• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I go after this commem?

5 posts in this topic

Bruce, I am by no means an expert on early commems, but I would hazard a guess that, yes I think it would make 64, maybe higher. Don't know if the front folds of the dress on the reverse are part of the design or nicks/hits. This is why I say 64. It may go higher if what I see there is NOT there as it appears to have a VERY strong strike and very clean fields.

I think it is a real nice example of a Roanoke Colonization half!

I was wondering the same thing.. it is hard to tell without the coin in hand... I would not think they are hits.. but you never know... even if they were I think it should still get at least MS 64... the strike is just so pretty....

Hi. When I saw the Roanoke I thought I knew the seller, I looked and was right. No, I don`t have anything bad to say. He has great feedback numbers. I always wondered about his coins because he sells uncertified coins with these great looking pictures of them. Are they as nice as the pictures and what will they grade if certified? That Roanoke has some marks on the skirt, 64-65,while alot of his commems are flawless looking. I do remember my dealer friend came by with a flawless looking Roanoke in an ANACS 62 holder that both of us couldn`t figure out. I would like to hear from people that have bought his nice looking coins and see what NGC or PCGS have to say about them. For myself, I bought a PCGS 66 Roanoke, being the small price difference between a 65 and 66. Good luck and keep us posted.

With the disclaimer that one can’t grade Mint State coins from photos, I’ll say from what I see that this coin should be an MS-64. It’s been dipped, so I don’t think that it will grade any higher, but it’s certainly a nice coin.

William Marks Simpson designed this coin. He also designed the Antietam (a wonderful design) and the Norfolk (a little too wordy for my taste). Maybe you could collect those next.

After years of not really caring much for commemorative coins I put together a type set after I became a dealer. I really like it, and if you can afford to spend say $15 to $20 thousand over a period of years, you could put together a nice (but not top registry quality) set too. Mine set is in the registry section on this site, and I post photos of every coin.