• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got billed for Lincoln set

17 posts in this topic

Wow.What an unexpected surprise.The mint billed my bank account for the Lincoln proof set I ordered last week. I didn't think I was getting one,since it was showing backordered. They are only making what 30,000 sets of these, correct? I think I'll keep this one instead of joining the selling frenzy.Woohoo!!

My set was shipped out today. I'm keeping mine also. Don't care if the frenzy dies or not. I actually think that these sets may just increase in value as time goes by due to the cent composition and the paperwork associated with the set. if it don't, I don't care.

I can't think of a single modern mint product released in the last few years that has appreciated more than in the first few months after release. Even if these do continue to sell for more than issue price, which I suspect they will, they will likely not be worth anywhere near current levels in the future.

A perfect example of this is the Martha Washington First Spouse gold coins. When they first came out in 2007, they sold out very quickly. They were selling for 2-3x issue price for months after the release.

Now, they can be purchased near melt value.

Another example - Reverse Proof 20th Anniversary Silver Eagle sets. Sets were selling for many multiples of issue price for months on end. I can remember unopened, First Strike-eligible boxes of 10 sets selling for THOUSANDS of dollars. Now, they're worth maybe $200 or so.

What I would do is sell the set, pocket the money, then buy one in a few months to a year when you can get them for half or less of what you sold it for.

But those are high priced, SPOUSE coins. Who cares about spouses ? SOME people

Who cares about Lincoln ? half the damn country !

Will not sell any of my 3 when I get em. This is a killer release that will be worth good bucks forever. If you missed out, you blew it !

Will not sell any of my 3 when I get em. This is a killer release that will be worth good bucks forever. If you missed out, you blew it !

The only thing this set has going for it is the packaging and some paper.

The coins can be purchased separately. If you want the COINS, you can still purchase them.

And Joe Blow doesn't know that they changed the cent design this year. So, "half the damn country" does not care about this set.

Also, the Spouse coin had a lower mintage than this set, by a large margin.

I sold all 3 of my sets for $175 each and I don't see the price going any higher than that.

All the set has is some fancy packaging and a writing other than that the coins can be had with getting the other sets.

I bet you this set will be selling for under a $100 in a few months.

Edit: All my coins shipped today!! :banana:

You both may be right, and yes you may be right about getting these coins in other options that the Chronicle set but I still think that this will be a collected set down the road. May not bring the money it is now, but ya never know!

You both may be right, and yes you may be right about getting these coins in other options that the Chronicle set but I still think that this will be a collected set down the road. May not bring the money it is now, but ya never know!

Ahh,who cares about money,right?

Ahh,who cares about money,right?

In the US Coin forum? ;)

Before the Mint posted the Lincoln Chronicle and the Braille education I read baout the release dates in Coin World. I contacted NGC ns I believe it was Amy who responded. She said she checked the Mint site and they did not appear to be any different then the previous commemoratives that were issued except they were packaged differently. The Braille Education was 22,000 units and the Lincoln Chronicle was 50,000.I had asked if there was to be any special labeling s to the number of sets etc. She responded that NGC had no plans to recognize them any differently. My guess is that there might be a demand now due to the number but that as soon as it is realized that the TPGS do not intend to showcase them then there will be a drop in price but who can tell?

Not only that NGC does not give them any special label, but also the fact that every single coin included in this set can be purchased separately seriously discounts from the appeal of the Coin and Chronicles package.

PCGS is doing it for some reason.. because people like slabs I guess

This will cause some sets to get broken up

Some people will keep theirs long term. Both factors reduce the number of available sets. And don't forget people in other countries (me!) have some of em ! :D