• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buying Bullion

17 posts in this topic

I was looking into purchasing a few ounces of gold bars. I did some research

and realized if I wanted USA bullion my only choices were a Golden Eagle 1oz

or Johnson Matthey kilo bar. So my only option for new would be the Golden

Eagle coins (because of price) which I'm purchasing only for the bullion, but yet I'm advised by the whole seller (Colorado Coin) to have them graded. The cost for less then

5 would be $30 and I don't see where this would be a wise investment since

most ppl who purchase these coins will most likely place the coins in a safety

deposit box or something similar.

The purpose of purchasing the gold is for investment and would prefer the 1 oz bar, but

not sure if a German, Austria, Brazil, Canadian, Swiss or Mexican 1 oz bar would

be worth less money. I'm therefore leaning towards the Golden Eagle and not sure

if this is my best choice.

You forget the American Buffalo 1 oz coins, which are also an option. The advantage there is that the Buffaloes are 24K .9999 fine gold, while the Gold Eagles are something like 22K gold.

Gold coins are hands down more liquidi than any gold bar, though I have saen some metal dealers offer them.

And if I were to buy a gold bar, I would buy Johnson Matthey or a similar name. I have never even heard of any Mexican or Brazilian bars and I doubt that most other retail buyers have either.

I like AGE's, Maple leafs, Nuggets, 7 Panda's 1ounce coins.

Credit & Pamp Sussie, Englehard, Johnson Matthey, & Perth mint on the bars.

Tulving would be the best place I know to buy. As long as your buying 20+.

Ampex & Gainsville are good on smaller buys. There are many sellers SHOP them all.

Coin shows are a good option too.

Make certain you purchase the bullion MS versions of coin gold and not burnished or proof versions of coin gold since you will be paying a stiff premium for the method of manufacture for the latter two options. Alternatively, foreign gold coin in smaller denominations can be obtained at or near melt value, too. If you go with modern bullion pieces I would suggest American Gold Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf, Austrian Philharmonic or South African Krugerand since each of these is well known and traded widely. Small foreign gold that has good acceptance and low premium would include Mexican (10, 20 and 50 pesos) and British (half-sovereign and sovereign). Bars would not be my choice and I would not pay to have anything certified.

It may be advantageous to you to buy K-Rands. They trade at a few dollar discount to all the other rounds out there. Probably 8-10 dollars less than a gold eagle.

Paul

I like AGE's, Maple leafs, Nuggets, 7 Panda's 1ounce coins.

Credit & Pamp Sussie, Englehard, Johnson Matthey, & Perth mint on the bars.

Tulving would be the best place I know to buy. As long as your buying 20+.

Ampex & Gainsville are good on smaller buys. There are many sellers SHOP them all.

Coin shows are a good option too.

I was advised to avoid flea markets or coin shows as well as Coin shops.

You forget the American Buffalo 1 oz coins, which are also an option. The advantage there is that the Buffaloes are 24K .9999 fine gold, while the Gold Eagles are something like 22K gold.

doesn't make a difference, same price for either on Colorado Gold.

doesn't make a difference, same price for either on Colorado Gold.

if I wanted USA bullion my only choices were a Golden Eagle 1oz or Johnson Matthey kilo bar

Just saying there is another option.

I buy my bullion from Tulving.com They have the best prices I've been able find anywhere. For gold, I suggest Mexican 50 pesos -- and no reason to have them graded.