• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1997 Botanical jefferson??

8 posts in this topic

One question please. An NGC slab for this Jefferson designates it as "SP". A PCGS slab designates it as "SMS". Is this the same Jefferson from the Botanical set? Thanks! Just wanting to make sure.

Satin or matte finish Jefferson nickels came in the 1997 Botanic Garden Coin & Currency set, do not confuse these with the 1997 Prestige-Botanical Gardens set that contained the regular proof Jefferson nickel.

To me SMS (Special Mint Set) designation is not the same as SP (Specimen Proof)

I think NCG got right with SP.

<>

SMS says where the coin came from, a special mint set. SP says how the coin were made. I never knew exactly what NGC intended SP to mean. I assumed it meant just plain SPecimen.

Interesting coins for sure. They are extremely well made, fully struck with special dies, special strikes and special handling. So they are proofs in my book. The sand blast finish looks like a Matte proof to me.

So I think SMS is correct but I would call the coins Matte proof or Special Proof. Specimen Proof works for me too.

Mint State just doesn't cut it for me. Anything else works but I like Matte Proof best.

I agree with everybody above that both are using different terms to describe the same coins. I just wanted to discuss what the coins should be called. :)