• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on Morgan Dollars

18 posts in this topic

If I had a choice between an NGC graded GSA CC Morgan dollar and a non GSA

NGC graded dollar and both had the same exact grade etc then would there be any advantage in buying the GSA over the non GSA dollar? Would there be any disadvantage of one over the other one?Thanks in advance.

take the better of the two coins in terms of grade and eye appeal

if the coins are equal take the gsa holder with the graded ngc security band

but since the band is not as totally secure like a sonically sealed slab ngc will not guarantee the grade of any ngc graded banded gsa case morgan

The choice would be the regular NGC graded coin with the NGC Security holder as opposed to a regular NGC Holder of the same grade etc. I really am not sure of the GSA set up. I suppose that it is possible that the coin in he regular holder vould have been broken out and sent in as raw etc. Also my understanding if correct is that if a Coin is sent to NGC in an original GSA holder that NGC grades it while it is still in the holder and puts the Security band around it etc.If this is true then is the CC coin in the Holder with the Security band possibly a lesser grade than the one that was graded raw and put in a regular holder? So if I have the same date and the same grade and one is the NGC OGP holder and with the Security band and the other is in an NGC regular holder then does one have any disadvantage ir advantage over the other one?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but let me say this. Given two identical GSA dollars, one in an NGC or PCGS slab and pedigreed to GSA, and another in it's original government holder and certified by NGC, I would take the one in the original holder every single time. Therefore, I will not pay a premium for an NGC or PCGS slab that says "GSA".

Give me the original holder! (And the original cert. and box provide original value.)

I must have not made myself understood. They are not both GSA dollars. Lets take an 1884 CC Morgan Dollar. One is in the holder which has the Security band around it and is OGP and is graded by NGC as an MS64. The other is in a regular NGC holder and is also graded as MS64, There is no way to assume that the latter was formerly GSA and cracked but we will assume that the latter was sent in raw and graded by NGC as MS64.

You have answered by stating that you would prefer the one with the Security Band and labeled as GSA in its original holder. This would be my tendency.I still have one question. The one that is GSA had to be graded while inside its holder.The one that was sent in raw should have allowed for a more cursory examination as it was raw and in hand. Is there then a disadvantage by having to grade the GSA without being removed from its holder?

The one that is GSA had to be graded while inside its holder.The one that was sent in raw should have allowed for a more cursory examination as it was raw and in hand. Is there then a disadvantage by having to grade the GSA without being removed from its holder?

The advantage of seeing all three sides of a GSA dollar prior to encapsulation in a slab is exceedingly small over seeing only two sides in the GSA holder. For one thing, the coins were examined prior to placement in the GSA holders, and in the second place, those dollars never even got close to circulating. They languished in mint bags for decades. So, it is such a small advantage as to be insignificant.

For that matter, the additional handling of removing the dollar from the GSA holder and then encapsulating it surely outweighs any risk from having been unable to examine the rim.

Is there then a disadvantage by having to grade the GSA without being removed from its holder?

Yes a small one in that if you were to send the GSA dollar back in and have it cracked an reslabbed and it didn't still make the MS-64 grade, the grade guarantee would not cover you and you would not receive any compensation. That is the only risk.

Thanks. I had never purchased a GSA but had read where there is some disadvantage in grading it within the plastic holder and was not familat with its history as to what happebed when they were placed in the Holder. Just that bobody knew of their existence until the Governtment discovered them and never knew they had them and they were puy up for bid etc.Just wanted to know if it was a significant problem or an insignificant one and it appears to be insignifcant.

I have never seen a GSA dollar in hand. I have seen pictures and there is no question that side by side with a non GSA dollar of the same grade that they are definitely much more appealing. I just wanted to know if there was any significant difference of grading with the plastic or grading because of the fact as James states that " there is hardly any chance of them being circulated etc". Apparently the consensus is that the difference is insignificant

I cant think of a situation where I would crack open a GSA Dollar and send it in to be graded. I have never seen one in hand.I do not own any CCs and have seen side by side pictures of each and some people can work wonders with a camera. I am back on the Morgans. I picked up an 1897 MS65 at an auction for P19.00 .Numismedia has it for $335. 00 and I couldn't see any dealers with less than $335.00 I also picked up an 1898P Morgan MS65 for $142.00. Eventually I will get to the CCs and was curious about how the general community might feel about it even though the GSA dollars look much better in the Photographs. Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Most people will tell you to buy the coin. My point concerned the consensus down the road. Why would you buy a coin when thinking about a certain grade if the type of grading had issues down the line?

I have decided to buy the GSA given the same choice of grade. Just wanted to know if there was any subjective evidence lacking in one over the other. Again thanks for the responses.