• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats wrong with this 1862 quarter?

13 posts in this topic

At first look, it appears the coin is struck from clashed dies. However the obverse is unimpaired, but the reverse appears to have the outline of the base of liberty at the top left of eagle. Maybe the obverse die was changed and the reverse die stayed in place during striking process? Fascinating coin and worthy of PCGS error submission.

TRUTH

The coin has been harshly cleaned, probably with an acid dip. The piece could have been left in the solution for a long time which could have eroded the surfaces on the reverse in an odd way. Is the coin unusually thin? It is light weight? This could be an indicator that it has had an unsual amount of the metal removed from its surfaces.

Bill that sounds logical but not 100% sure... the color does not look that far off compared to other silver coinage... There are no lines on it(From cleaning) that the naked eye can see... either way on this coin I am protected...

If that was an 1857 quarter I'd almost say it is the rare FE cent clashed version.

I can't recall the FS# but the reverse of the 25c is clashed with the reverse of a FE cent. I passed one up last year and should have snagged it!

well some have mentioned this already but i will say it again

looks from the scan and i would need to see the coin in persomn to be sure

but from the scan my guessitmate is

clashed dies and then it got a cynaiad dip which gives the coin a matte appearance an appearance like an extremely late die state

michael

Bill that sounds logical but not 100% sure... the color does not look that far off compared to other silver coinage... There are no lines on it(From cleaning) that the naked eye can see... either way on this coin I am protected...

You don't get hairlines from acid dips. Hairlines result from using wire or even goat hair brushes, polishing cloths or abbrasive agents like baking soda to remove tarnish.

Not all cleaning results in hairlines.