• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Confused Gold Indian Head Half Eagle

1 post in this topic

Hi NCS,

I'm about to send 3 of my NGC-graded gold Indian Head Half Eagles to NCS to be evaluated for possible conservation. I'm just wondering whether to add another one that is currently graded by PCGS as AU-55. You see, this particular coin used to be slabbed in a NGC holder with a grade of MS61. When I bought the coin, I noticed that the slab was heavily scratched and without much thought, I carefully cracked the coin out of the slab to complete a 5-coin minimum submission to NGC using my free coupons. With full confidence in NGC, I genuinely though the coin would comback in a sparkling new holder with the same grade of MS61. Unfortunately, it came back in a body bag as "improperly cleaned". I thought it must be a mistake, so I send the coin to PCGS which gave it a grade of AU-55.

I know this coin is MS-61 (as originally graded by NGC) and I want it properly graded. I'm unsure what drove the other grader to say that it was improperly cleaned. Would NCS think it would be worthwhile for them to have a look at the coin for possible conservation? Or should I just re-submit this to NGC for grading?

Thanks so much.

Regards