• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long signatures extending the screen

9 posts in this topic

I normally don't rant about things but something that is driving me crazy lately is having to scroll across my screen to read many posts due to people having pictures in their signature or links to the registry that scroll across the screen.

If you list multiple registry links or multiple photos please be considerate of others and hit your enter key after you paste the links into your signature?

rantrant Over

I was guilty of this before when I first joined up and someone emailed me about it and I fixed it.

It is not that I tired to do this it is just that I didn't know any better at the time. While I have not noticed it lately maybe it would help if you can post instructions on how to fix the issue for those that are not that computer savvy.

When you paste the link to your registry sets, etc just press your enter/return key. This will start the next link on a new line.

People with 24 inch monitors like me (or bigger) won't see the problem on their resolution, then someone with a low resolution will view it and see a BIG problem..

According to the board FAQ:

Is there a limit to the size of an image I can have in my signature?

We ask that you keep your images relatively small. As a rule, please do not exceed 125 x 600 pixels and/or 35k for a signature image. This will ensure that the forums load quickly for all users.

It is extremely annoying.

I don't even read some threads because of it. I like to keep my favorites file open to the left of the screen since I surf a lot. Scrolling is a pain.

I like the way this site lays out posts without too many characters in each line. It's hard to follow text and lines when they are overly long. On most sites I have to format posts to make them easily readable but here it's not necessary until one of the 100 or 150 character signature lines posts to the page. Then it's get out the old formatter...

I like the way this site lays out posts without too

many characters in each line. It's hard to follow

text and lines when they are overly long. On most

sites I have to format posts to make them easily

readable but here it's not necessary until one of

the 100 or 150 character signature lines posts to

the page. Then it's get out the old formatter...

One option is to turn off signatures. At the top of the page:

My Stuff > My Preferences > Do you want to view other user's signatures with their posts? Yes No

I like them off. There's less to scroll through when reading a thread. Also, I really don't like animated pics. One member has multiple animated pics in his signature right now and it's annoying. I prefer not to see them.

You can always temporarily turn on signatures to get someone's Registry Set link.