• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for the history of the 1955 Poorman's Doubled Die

11 posts in this topic

First off, we all know it's not a doubled die. Just a name someone gave it and it stuck.

Who actually came up with the name? It must have been a dealer promotion of some type.

I can't find anything on this. There must be some old time dealers that have the answer to this.

Please tell us what you know.

I have one of those! (A POORMAN"S DOUBLE DIE) My sister bought it for me to replace the real '55 double die that I (had) to buy a piece of gum for her with it in 1963. My Mom made me! AHHHHH!

If you look real real close, it is slightly doubled. 50 power should do it!

you are correct a big dealer prommotion in the 1960's

and even into the early 1990's i would see every so often some smaller dealer ads in the local coin rags still advertising for sale as such

i would say in the last 7 years or so this has died out and i rarely if ever see this advertised for sale

I have one of those! (A POORMAN"S DOUBLE DIE) My sister bought it for me to replace the real '55 double die that I (had) to buy a piece of gum for her with it in 1963. My Mom made me! AHHHHH!

If you look real real close, it is slightly doubled. 50 power should do it!

Are you serious! :o

I would have said sorry... No gum for you!

Yes, I am very serious. I had to put it in the gum machine. I had two cents, and I knew what the one was, I bought myself a piece of gum, but did not buy my sister one. she threw a fit! She was six, and I was three. My mom made me put it in the machine, even though I told them it was worth a lot of money at the time. even in 1961. :pullhair: I should have taken the spanking!

Yes, I am very serious. I had to put it in the gum machine. I had two cents, and I knew what the one was, I bought myself a piece of gum, but did not buy my sister one. she threw a fit! She was six, and I was three. My mom made me put it in the machine, even though I told them it was worth a lot of money at the time. even in 1961. :pullhair: I should have taken the spanking!

You should have given your gum to your sister.

Chewed it for awhile, then said, "Here, it's your turn..."

I had sisters too.

The name goes back a lot further than that 1986 ad.

Correct. It had to be. I'm thinking the early to mid 60's. DWLange was kind enough to give me a few thoughts on where and when to look. I'll post what I learn.