• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Half Dime Full Registry Set - Attributes Required?

6 posts in this topic

I tried to create an NGC Registry Set for Capped Bust half dimes.

I'm talking about the full version, not the date-only version.

It appears that unless the coin has been officially attributed by NGC or PCGS the entry will not be accepted.

My test coin is an 1836 Half Dime, NGC MS-62, 554907-018.

It is a "Small 5C. / LM-5" variety.

The NGC database acknowledges the coin as 1836 Half Dime, NGC MS-62, but won't allow the entry because it's not attributed on the holder as "Small 5C. / LM-5".

Is that it?

Am I out of luck unless I fork over the bucks for attribution?

I've got a 1836 Half Dime, PCGS AU-50, attributed "Large 5C", but without the LM designation.

I suppose that it's a no-go also.

I've got 13 of the 16 major varieties. To have them officially attributed so that I can create the Registry Set at the moment will cost $130 plus Registration and S&H.

That's equal to 2 coins on my wantlist.

At this point I see no option; I just won't have a half dime Registry Set.

Is that correct?

I tried to create an NGC Registry Set for Capped Bust half dimes.

I'm talking about the full version, not the date-only version.

It appears that unless the coin has been officially attributed by NGC or PCGS the entry will not be accepted.

My test coin is an 1836 Half Dime, NGC MS-62, 554907-018.

It is a "Small 5C. / LM-5" variety.

The NGC database acknowledges the coin as 1836 Half Dime, NGC MS-62, but won't allow the entry because it's not attributed on the holder as "Small 5C. / LM-5".

Is that it?

Am I out of luck unless I fork over the bucks for attribution?

I've got a 1836 Half Dime, PCGS AU-50, attributed "Large 5C", but without the LM designation.

I suppose that it's a no-go also.

I've got 13 of the 16 major varieties. To have them officially attributed so that I can create the Registry Set at the moment will cost $130 plus Registration and S&H.

That's equal to 2 coins on my wantlist.

At this point I see no option; I just won't have a half dime Registry Set.

Is that correct?

Because the registry is automated, and the slab serial number is "registered" in the sytem and compared against the NGC/PCGS databases, only information known to the grading services, i.e., info on the slab label, can be listed in the registry. NGC doesnt have an official record of what variety your half dime is, thus you cant put it in the registry in a variety slot. It sucks but there's no way around it.

Because the registry is automated, and the slab serial number is "registered" in the sytem and compared against the NGC/PCGS databases, only information known to the grading services, i.e., info on the slab label, can be listed in the registry. NGC doesnt have an official record of what variety your half dime is, thus you cant put it in the registry in a variety slot. It sucks but there's no way around it.

Thanks.

I suspected that was the case.

Just needed to see if I was correct AND if there were any workarounds.