• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lincoln with crack in rim

7 posts in this topic

It's called a "Heavy Collar Clash" I believe it is found on pg.143 of Alan Herbert's A Price Guide to Mint Errors. Value is listed as $1 and up. For your piece, it's likely just worth face value. The error is not quite common, but it is not a major error, and can be found in much more serious cases that generally command somewhat higher premiums. On a side note, coins with reeded edges generally are worth more with this error when the impression of the reeds is caught in the collar.

Cheers,

L1nconF4n

Thanks Lincoln. I appreciate the info. I never noticed the crack until I went to photo the coin the other day.I didn't get all of the crack in the pic but most of it. It runs from just below Liberty to about the U in trust.

Yea even that would be a really minor error. I used to pull aside all the cents I found like that, generally more modern ones than older ones (at least that's the distribution I found). Now I'll only pull aside ones with reeds showing in the clash, generally only on quarters and halves, as dimes are so small they are generally hard to notice. I have had some luck selling some severe clashes for b/w $5-15 depending on grade, severity, and denomination. Really need to find someone interested in it to get a buyer though.

Cheers

Yea even that would be a really minor error. I used to pull aside all the cents I found like that, generally more modern ones than older ones (at least that's the distribution I found). Now I'll only pull aside ones with reeds showing in the clash, generally only on quarters and halves, as dimes are so small they are generally hard to notice. I have had some luck selling some severe clashes for b/w $5-15 depending on grade, severity, and denomination. Really need to find someone interested in it to get a buyer though.

Cheers

Oh I'm not looking to sell it my friend. I bought this just because it was a "Wide AM" cent. I just noticed the crack the other day. Just a little bonus to the coin as far as I'm concerned. Thanks Lincoln!!