• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Russian Wire Money ???

4 posts in this topic

There is such a thing as Russian Wire money. These are very small hammered silver coins struck on flans cut from silver wire. I do not know their value, nor whether they are in Krause (although I believe they were made before 1601, which would be the cutoff date for Krause), but I had a (let me word this carefully wink.gif ) dealer in Ancient coins offer me as many of them as I wanted about two weeks ago, and he knows my budget or lack thereof. smile.gif

Russian wire money was struck during the 15th, 16th and early 17th century. These coins are struck on small, crude, irregularly shaped planchets and are usually encountered in circulated condition. It is a specialized area of study. There are several books on the subject by Oreshnikov, Chaudoir, Lang and Spasky. Some of these are out of print. These coins are not listed in Krause and values have a wide range based on the rarity.