• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purchased a NGC coin questions

7 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone. New to this group. Just started collecting and have been buying strictly graded coins/certified coins. I have been very pleased with all the coins purchased however I do have a question regarding the plastic cases. The last coin I purchased online just arrived and the case looks like the plastic was re-fused back together. My question is regarding the ability for someone to open and reseal the case. I called the coin dealer I purchased it from and they assured me that it has not been. I checked the number on NGC website and all checks out. So is it a concern?

some of the older holders will have a "rough spot" on each of the 4 sides, some of this is due to the actual slab manufacture and not the sealing of the slab which is done sonically. I have personally cracked open 50-60 slabs to put coins in albums or send in for re-grading and I have never had one come even close to breaking into 2 even halves ( front/back)...if the coin in question has a value of less than $1000 or was minted post 1970, I would feel almost 100% secure that it is authentic ( especially if the cert # checks out) since the time and effort invested would not merit the return..JMO

It's very,very difficult to open one of thee NGC/PCGS slabs without breaking it. I'm sure it can be done but I have never seen it. If you are convinced there is a problem,especially with very rare or high dollar coins you should call NGC and ask them to inspect any questionable slabs.I really wouldn't worry too much about it though.

Generally, it is not a concern. It would be a lot of trouble to break coins out, get a convincing label and hologram, and reseal with a passable coin inside the bogus "slab". It's possible, though, so if you can post images, maybe we can make better evaluation.