• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newfoundland 20¢ Hooked 99 - is it cleaned?

4 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I recently acquired this Newfy in a coin lot of various world coins and I was excited to THINK that I have a hooked 99 variety of this date.

Is there any Newfoundland coin nuts who could verify if this is indeed a hooked 99? I can’t find any clear pictures of the hooked variety in any books.

In addition I am curious if it looks cleaned. I am leaning towards YES, the date side of the coin looks very ordinary for a Newfoundland coin, nothing special, so many of the Newfy coinage experienced a lot of wear due to circulation. But the Victoria side looks very strangely clean and I'm not sure if you can tell by the picture it is UNUSUALLY bright and shiny. I have 40+ Newfoundland coins and NON of them look like this one. I would like your comments on the unusual look of Old Victoria.

Have a great day

Jim

86700.jpg.7149193b3394ba3f79261cf54ddebd0e.jpg

86701.jpg.843ca3af87eb5b146e254c8f2bffe8eb.jpg

Something has been done to clean the obverse. 110 year old coins are not this shiny. The flat, non-lustrous fields are one give away. The details are okay but the scratches and marks on the obverse void the value of the coin, IMO. The reverse is nice and what I would expect on a Newfy. You said it was part of a larger lot. That's good because I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

Sorry but I can't help you with the hooked 99 attribution. Check out this link Canadian Coins Follow the catalog (upper left corner) link to the Newfoundland coins. I think you have the small 9 variation, but can't tell for certain.

I picked up a nice 1888 Newfy twenty cent coin recently in EF. I have several Newfy coins but no where near forty. I like collecting the coins of Canada from the individual provinces, especially before Confederation in 1867.

Welcome to the boards and happy collecting!

If I divide the total for the lot of coins, comes out to I paid just under $9 bucks for the coin so not to bad. I am calling it some place between a F and a VF, it is filling a whole at the moment, and if it is a hooked 99 (still not sure) it will stay in my flip book with just the date showing. lol. If you saw the coin you would say WTF? Because ye ol Victoria looks blindingly bright, certainly something you don’t see in circulated Newfoundland coinage. Thanks for the link some great information there!

Have a great day

Jim

Although I have never actually seen a "hooked 99" I have viewed normal Newfoundland twenty cent pieces and yours is definitely different. So it may be the "hooked 99" type, you never know.

The obverse appears to be harshly cleaned or even polished.

Welcome to the boards!