• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you going to participate in the PCGS "Second Tier" Registry Set?

40 posts in this topic

This has been an interesting and revealing thread to read.

I agree! There is more politics,"controversy" and issues that I am only beginning to understand.

I joined this collectors forum to learn more about coins but I have been exposed to a whole lot more.

The thread by Doogy has also been very captivating.

I'm surprised how long this thread is considering everybody is agreeing with each other. braddick has the most favorable response so far.

Well I entered my half cent collection and was among the first people to register a set. I like tracking my coins in the online sets. I like watching other people add to their sets. One of the best times in my numismatic life was when a bunch of people were racing to finish the newly added 20th Century type set several years ago.

So YES, I'm the first on this thread to admit I'm participating in these sets.

I've always felt that when comparing the two services (NGC and PCGS), NGC genuinely cares about the hobby, and PCGS only cares about the business aspect (making money).

Perfectly put.

Don't kid yourself. NGC is in business to make money. The difference is their approach and circumstances.

For whatever reason, PCGS is trying to maintain that perception of being the "class" of the business in order to maintain what they perceive as a competitive advantage. But PCGS may be seeing a fall off in business and needs something to build revenues. After all, as part of Collectors' Universe, they are a public company (NASDAQ: CLCT).

So you see what they did... they found a way to brand their program in a way to show status. They leave the regular PCGS sets to their status and show how they are being inclusive calling it an "Everyman's Set," rather than calling it a Second Tier set, as I did. They keep their status and throw some crumbs to the rabble. See how wonderful they are? :o

OTOH, NGC has alway had a solid reputation and not shown the egos that PCGS has. So when NGC has caught up with ANACS and ICG in detail grading, it did not seem so bad. In fact, it was hailed by many of us as a good thing. Sure, we complain about the gasket used in NGC slabs, but NGC is seen as more genteel than PCGS.

Remember, we're still complaining about the NGC gasket. While not a major issue, NGC is not exactly perfect! It's all perception.

But the Second Tier Registry Sets is still a stupid idea!

Scott :hi:

I've always felt that when comparing the two services (NGC and PCGS), NGC genuinely cares about the hobby, and PCGS only cares about the business aspect (making money).

Perfectly put.

Don't kid yourself. NGC is in business to make money. The difference is their approach and circumstances.

For whatever reason, PCGS is trying to maintain that perception of being the "class" of the business in order to maintain what they perceive as a competitive advantage.

Their turnaround times have been great, lately ;)

It would be a non starter for me, even if I bothered with PCGS. Who would get great satisfaction out of being "the king of loserville" or "seond rate alley?"

I know where my collection stands, and I accept that. I've get nice stuff, but not world class.

I think there are too many "gimmicky" registry sets which are blatant revenue grabs with no regard to how the markets are distorted by their existence and promotion.

The registry impacts on PO-1 and AU-58 coins, for example, make a mockery of the traditional grade-to-value relationship. And when a coin in a lower grade is worth more than a coin in a higher grade (all else being equal), there isn't as much incentive left for preserving your coins in the best possible condition.

Are you going to participate in the PCGS "Second Tier" Registry Set?

NO

i get enough arrogance and subtle rule inequity in life

dont need it with the fun of numismatics

i rather be non registry anything with pcgs

now ngc plays much more fair with regards to accepting their slabbed coins and also pcgs coins and their weighting/requirements for specific coins in different sets is more reasonable than pcgs

Originally I listed my circ Mercury Dimes in the everyman sets, but after a while I took them down. I didn't have a full set, but a few from over the years. To me it just didn't make sence because it isn't an everyman sets. AU58 coins can sometimes run more than MS coins. Many AU coins look better and only have a slight rub keeping them out of high grade holders.

I started a thread over there suggesting a true everyman set could be in any same grade. For example if you choose to put together a VG08 set, than a Good or Fine could both carry a minus point. Only a set of complete VG08 would get the highest score. A Fine set could work the same way and score the same so if you can afford VG08 and the next person can afford F15 you would be tied for #1. I think it would be harder to put together a lower grade set than just toss out your fat wallet and buy all AU58 coin.