• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Half Dimes, I'm Keeping Just One

20 posts in this topic

I have these two half dimes. I will keep one and send the other one to another half dime collector. Both are 1833 LM-3.2 die remarriages (common as can be). Both are in clear plastic TPG holders and are but a grade point apart. I intend to keep just one and I know which one it will be (the lower graded coin). Collecting these tiny coins sure is fun.

coin2.jpg

coin1.jpg

I don't know which one you are keeping, but if it were me it would be the bottom one. No question about it, it has far superior eye appeal, appears better struck, with nice luster. Definitely the second one.

What I want to know is, how did people keep from losing these...?

I wondered that many times myself.

And how is it that of all the half dimes out there, he posts two examples of the only die pair that I have from the whole series? meh

What I want to know is, how did people keep from losing these...?

I wondered that many times myself.

And how is it that of all the half dimes out there, he posts two examples of the only die pair that I have from the whole series? meh

:D

anytime I see an 1833, it is typically the 1833 LM-10 and after that it seems the 1833 LM-3.2 is very common. Nice ones are tough to find, though.

I have been told that people would keep their coins in small pouches so that they would not lose their change. I'd imagine people had pockets back then, but the pouches were the preferred alternative. I'm sure someone can share some facts on the topic.

I appreciate all of the responses. Here's more information and my decision:

As many of you stated or hinted at, the top coin is higher graded (MS64). It is in a green-label holder too. The bottom coin is MS63. The bottom coin had been raw until just last month, when I submitted it for next-day grading during the ANA show. Not only do I find the bottom coin prettier, but also it is THE PLATE COIN for the 1833 LM-3.2 die remarriage in the Logan & McCloskey text "Federal Half Dimes 1792-1837" (see page 231).

When I obtained the coin (about three years ago), that planchet defect on the obverse appeared rather dark. Close inspection showed me that it was filled (ok, maybe "filled" is an exaggeration, but it had a bunch) with PVC residue. So I rinsed the coin a few times in acetone and got rid of the offending substance. I had the coin stored in my Dansco half dime album since then. It is now entombed while I build a certified set of baby busties by die marriage and die remarriage.

I like the bottom one more in some ways EXCEPT for the streak of impurity that runs across the obverse from 3 o’clock and through the eye of the bust and into the cap.I find it distracting, and I’m guessing that is why the coin got an MS-63 instead of an MS-64.

I like the bottom one more in some ways EXCEPT for the streak of impurity that runs across the obverse from 3 o’clock and through the eye of the bust and into the cap.I find it distracting, and I’m guessing that is why the coin got an MS-63 instead of an MS-64.

the neat thing about that planchet flaw is that it makes identification of this coin as the plate coin from the half dime book a very easy task. I think this is the most recognizable plate coin in the book.

the neat thing about that planchet flaw is that it makes identification of this coin as the plate coin from the half dime book a very easy task. I think this is the most recognizable plate coin in the book.

Yep. It also lends a lot of credence to the original surface quality of the coins. Personally, planchet streaks, grease stains and the like are not at all detrimental to a coin's appeal. I rather like such character as compared to the vanilla flavored ilk.

I really like the bottom coin better. It is all there, strikewise, compared to the other. The alloy discoloration is slightly distracting but it is a really nice half dime!