• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What type of cleaning agent was used here(if any)

10 posts in this topic

These two coins appear to have either been stored or in contact with a similar cleaning agent. Or is this a type of normal appearance that I've just not seen before. Any ideas.

Thanks

Jim

1860compare.jpg

You both are probably right. I just have never seen this look, my 1859, 1862 and 1863 look nothing like this-especially the texture look. Just curious. Thanks to you both---Jim

These two coins appear to have either been stored or in contact with a similar cleaning agent. Or is this a type of normal appearance that I've just not seen before. Any ideas.

Thanks

Jim

1860compare.jpg

While the pictures aren't clear enough to determine what other surface problems may be present, the grainy texture and tan color are very typical of early Indian Cents and are not indicative of chemical treatment.

While the pictures aren't clear enough to determine what other surface problems may be present, the grainy texture and tan color are very typical of early Indian Cents and are not indicative of chemical treatment.

I agree.

They don't look cleaned to me, but rather that they were in some sort of semi-corrosive atmosphere for some time (in the ground). I have certainly seen this look on IHC before.

The odd color and texture of early Indian Cents is caused by their copper-nickel alloy. In 1864, the more familiar bronze cents were produced for the first time. Large cents, on the other hand, were supposed to be 100% copper.