• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone here collect jetons?

19 posts in this topic

I'd love to see some pictures of jetons!

Jetons are an area of interesting artistry and design that hasn't seemed to have caught on yet, just wondering we have any jeton collectors here?

Here's my new one, just arrived yesterday-

09935-2-1.jpg

And one I have had for a while-

08837-1.jpg

I love the 1755 jeton, can you provide more info on it?

I would really like to own one. The details are amazing!

From the French-English translation of the seller's info, the obverse is a 'scene' from Jason and the Argonauts. The dragon is defending the golden fleece (a sheep or ram?), with the ship of the Argonauts approaching.

The obverse symbolizes the combining of two French rivers, I think.

The translations sometimes get confusing when I use Google, but you can usually get the basic info. I really like the artistic style of many of the jetons. I think it'll make a neat little side project and I'm looking to add to these when I can.

Hope that helps. :)

What is something like that worth?

Hmm...I couldn't be sure, I really need to find a reference book or price guide on them (if one exists). That's one of the reasons I started this thread, to find out if anyone with knowledge in this area can provide a reference book that I could pick up.

I have the Richter set, one volume of Swiss Shooting (Schutzenfest) medals and one volume of Swiss Shooting jetons.

There has to be a reference book of French jetons. If not there should be...

I have "Monnaies et Jetons Des Colonies Francaises" by Lecompte, but it only has French colonial issues. Nothing from the mainland. The only problem is, the bloody book is in French and I'm not good enough to really read it yet. I'm teaching myself French right now, and I had five years of Latin in high school so I can sorta get the jist of things, but its tough.

I have "Monnaies et Jetons Des Colonies Francaises" by Lecompte, but it only has French colonial issues. Nothing from the mainland. The only problem is, the bloody book is in French and I'm not good enough to really read it yet. I'm teaching myself French right now, and I had five years of Latin in high school so I can sorta get the jist of things, but its tough.

I've done a search lately and found a book or two on the subject, but they were also in French. I'm not up to all of that translating unless it's a last resort. I'd love to find a (cheap) guide book with rarity scales and a price guide, so I'll keep looking. As for now, I can research past sales though they are very difficult to locate on many of the specific coins I have been looking at.

Added: In fact, a website with that info would be even better. :)

I own this one jeton..I'll try and find some history..usually everything is symbolic..sorry for the cruddy photos, I was trying to capture the vivid colors but ended up with just a splotchy and too bright picture...

PS: that 1625 Jeton with the sailing ship is fabulous, I'd love to locate one for my nautical collection..

87001.jpg.241668b39d71bbd41b543f3efb1c5ad9.jpg

87002.jpg.5d99799e0f5032650f2f5a992fcafd5f.jpg

I would be very surprised if an accurate price guide for the French jetons exists. Once you get out of the 20th century accurate price guides for any series or country start becoming harder to come by (Because there are fewer and fewer collectors.). Even in US coins which tend to have some of the better ones, once you get before the mid-19th century the guides get sketchier and by the late 18th early 19th century the guides are VERY questionable. And the early coins are widely collected by varieties but you'll find that there are no accurate guides for them either. And if they do exist for early coins/tokens of various countries they will almost certainly be in the language of the home country.

<>

Thanks! :)

Here's some info on yours, jackson64-

Obverse legend: LOUIS XVIII KING OF FRANCE. Obverse description: Bust (left) of Louis XVIII 1818. Reverse description: Providence with a child in front of a ship in distress and a building in flames. 'INSURANCE RULES IN PARIS'

Historical background: Marine insurance has emerged in Italy in the thirteenth century and then spread throughout Europe. It is against fire in the seventeenth century but was already on life in the late sixteenth century. The insurance company won the general privilege of Louis XV in 1753 for the security of maritime trade and to ensure the houses against fire. The nineteenth century saw the emergence of countless companies, allowing the development of the economy in general by the pooling of risks.

(French-English translation, hope it somewhat helps)

I would be very surprised if an accurate price guide for the French jetons exists. Once you get out of the 20th century accurate price guides for any series or country start becoming harder to come by (Because there are fewer and fewer collectors.). Even in US coins which tend to have some of the better ones, once you get before the mid-19th century the guides get sketchier and by the late 18th early 19th century the guides are VERY questionable. And the early coins are widely collected by varieties but you'll find that there are no accurate guides for them either. And if they do exist for early coins/tokens of various countries they will almost certainly be in the language of the home country.

Yeah, I've also about made that realization. It's not even the pricing that is of most concern, but to have a comprehensive guide on rarity and descriptions would be of help. I have found a source of some info online but it's more of a list of past sales with descriptions (in French). It'll do for now.

Thanks for the help! :cool:

thanks for that info on my jeton.....I plan on getting it into an NGC purple slab and adding it to a signature set so I hope you won't mind me paraphrasing that info for my coin description...thanks again..

thanks for that info on my jeton.....I plan on getting it into an NGC purple slab and adding it to a signature set so I hope you won't mind me paraphrasing that info for my coin description...thanks again..

Sure, no problem! :) Will NGC slab these? I'm not really familiar with NGC's list of 'slabbables'. I've used Anacs before ('cause they're cheap) but if NGC does jetons then I may need to sign up.