• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1794 cent, identifying variety

8 posts in this topic

If a 1794 cent is labeled S-43 R-2, to which of these pricing categories does it belong?

Head of 1793

Head of 1794

Exact Head of 1795

Starred Reverse

No Fraction Bar

Does R-2 refer to the reverse (I'd assume), or to the rim?

I've read through several online descriptions of the series, even the specific year, that have managed not to answer either question.

R-2 refers to the scarcity of the coin. In this case, it is pretty common. The higher the "R" rating, the rarer the die-marriage is. S-43, of course, refers to the die-marriage, in this case, Sheldon 43.

S-43 is a "head of '94" sub-type.

But check it closely to make sure it really is an S-43 (Or should I say hopefully it isn't.) The NC-10 uses the same obv and the known pieces were originally attributed as S-43.

Okay. The coin gods like me this week, because I just found a copy of Penny Whimsy locally and am heading over to pick it up this afternoon. I assume all these details are covered in it? It sounds as though if it were to be an NC-10, this might be an exceptional coin.

You won't find NC-10 in Penny Whimsy, it wasn't discovered until 1994. If you can determine that the obv is the same as S-43, 44 then look at the inside berries next to the T in Cent. If the upper berry is to the left of the lower berry then it's NC-10. If it is to the right of the lower berry then look at the next inside berry above these two. If the berry is up by the tip of the leaf or above then it is 43 or 44. If that berry is down near the base of the leaf then it is NC-5. an R-8 coin with only two known.

You won't find NC-10 in Penny Whimsy, it wasn't discovered until 1994. If you can determine that the obv is the same as S-43, 44 then look at the inside berries next to the T in Cent. If the upper berry is to the left of the lower berry then it's NC-10. If it is to the right of the lower berry then look at the next inside berry above these two. If the berry is up by the tip of the leaf or above then it is 43 or 44. If that berry is down near the base of the leaf then it is NC-5. an R-8 coin with only two known.

Thank you very much for those helpful specifics. It's definitely an S-43 (the diagonal die crack through the 7 is prominent) with no special qualities based on those criteria. Disappointing, but I would be surprised if the dealer I bought it from had missed such a thing. I'm still glad I got Penny Whimsy, though; it was fun investigating the situation and taking a closer look at the coin. I guess coin collecting is like watching baseball; if you only get caught up in whether you win the game, you miss a lot of the fun of discerning the details and intricacies of what's going on.

I guess coin collecting is like watching baseball; if you only get caught up in whether you win the game, you miss a lot of the fun of discerning the details and intricacies of what's going on.

Bingo!