• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone figure out the date of this 1 real ?

6 posts in this topic

Some of them do not have dates. The only method to estimate the date range is by the design and legends.

Since the date is mostly missing and the mintmark isn't visible, is there another way to identify it? (an estimation?)

Since it's the pillar design we can place it between 1652 and 1773 (I think), but I was wondering if that can be further narrowed? I'm not very familiar with the different designs on these, and I've been searching for comparative pics with little luck so far.

This indeed appears to be a 1 real cob, although verifying that it was minted in Potosi is more difficult. The number "1" is flanked by flourishes just above the "SVL" part of the motto. The assayers mark would be just to the right, but appears to be illegible. If legible, it would narrow down the date. The same mark would be just to the right of the right arm of the cross as well, but that too seems to be illegible.

However, in the section just below the "SVL" would be the date. I see in the photograph what appears to be the tops of three numbers, which means the date is in the 1700's. The first number would be "7" and the last two numbers would be the rest of the date. For example, a date of 1732 would be indicated as "732".

If the coin was minted in the 1600's the date would consist of only two digits. For example, the year 1688 would appear as "88".

The three areas of the coin that would show a "P" for Potosi are missing -- left of the left cross leg, left of the "1" denomination, and lower right corner diagonal from the "SVL".

If you can read the date better than I can do from your photo, you might have answered your question.

This indeed appears to be a 1 real cob, although verifying that it was minted in Potosi is more difficult. The number "1" is flanked by flourishes just above the "SVL" part of the motto. The assayers mark would be just to the right, but appears to be illegible. If legible, it would narrow down the date. The same mark would be just to the right of the right arm of the cross as well, but that too seems to be illegible.

However, in the section just below the "SVL" would be the date. I see in the photograph what appears to be the tops of three numbers, which means the date is in the 1700's. The first number would be "7" and the last two numbers would be the rest of the date. For example, a date of 1732 would be indicated as "732".

If the coin was minted in the 1600's the date would consist of only two digits. For example, the year 1688 would appear as "88".

The three areas of the coin that would show a "P" for Potosi are missing -- left of the left cross leg, left of the "1" denomination, and lower right corner diagonal from the "SVL".

If you can read the date better than I can do from your photo, you might have answered your question.

I figured it was missing too much info for a positive identification. Thanks for the info on it, I appreciate it. The date looked to me like it could be (1)71*. Their number ones seem to have been an "I", which could match the second number. The last number then possibly being 0, 3, 8, or 9 (rounded top). It may be too far gone to tell at this point.