• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the minimum reverse rotation NGC or NCS will Lable?

11 posts in this topic

Nice downhill reverse rotation, but NCS will not call it out on the label... To Small?

1926_o.jpg

1926_r.jpg

1926_20CCW_a.jpg

1926_20CCW_o.jpg

1926_20CCW_r.jpg

In Alan Herbert's book under III-N-3 Rotated Die Strike - 15 to 45 Degree (IWE)

Usual U.S. Mint tolerance is 7 degrees for each die, so rotations do not take on value below 15 degrees...

This is a +20 degrees?

It's really a minimal error, in that perspective. 40º or so and your talking very noticeable . Don't get me wrong, yours is noticeable, but unless it had other errors, there is little to no premium for this piece, even though it is a mint error.

Well the OP was only asking about notation of the rotation. I would think, unless it has to be requested when the coin is being graded, that anything over 15% would be notated on the slab. There was no question about value.

It’s not that Alan’s wrong, 20º rotation is outside of mint acceptance. The issue at hand is that in the collector marketplace, it is not the level of misalignment that error collectors look for, and IMO actually detracts from a coin’s appeal (not eye appeal mind you) if it was not already being sold as an error for some other reason. My guess is this is what NGC has in mind. You should get it marked on the holder if you requested it, as it is true. For error collectors, we generally look for 40º-180º rotations, with +/- 90º being prime (as it is really unordinary).