• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this 1928 Peace an altered date?

6 posts in this topic

The attached image was taken from a recent eBay auction. I downloaded the image and enlarged the date area. To me it looks like an altered date (from a 1923 Peace Dollar). There are some die polish lines that can be used as a diagnostic, but they obviously cannot be seen in the image, nor would they likely appear on the actual coin (worn to AG). Just doesn't seem right to me, but I don't deal with Peace Dollars very often.

What's YOUR opinion? Thanks in advance.

Dennis

365274-1928.jpg.8a16d03aebed8bdd177edf982f0f52b7.jpg

I can't offer an opinion based on the photo, but in this condition even a 1928 issue should not bring much money. If you're looking for a nice 1928 issue you should be able to find an AU/BU coin for around $200. They are the most expensive Peace $ in circulated condition because it is the least minted issue, with only 360,xxx produced.

Dennis, in my opinion, you are too paranoid. Altered coins on eBay? That never happens.

Paranoia, it can kill ya! Stop being so paranoid!

HEY! QUICK! DENNIS, WHO'S THAT SNEAKING UP BEHIND YOU!

James

James

It's your new replacement. Sorry that you had to find out about your "career change" this way................. tonofbricks.gif

James

It's your new replacement. Sorry that you had to find out about your "career change" this way................. tonofbricks.gif

popcorn.gif

I think you're on to something. A 1928 Peace dollar in AG03 is a Grade Rarity. For whatever reason, they don't turn up at all in super low grades whereas the 1923 is super common like this.

That coupled with the what appears to be tooling around the left side of the last digit and you probably do have someone's pet project on a 1923.