• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coins stolen-Over $200K of graded Morgan dollars

15 posts in this topic

This info is second hand from my landlord. These were my next door neighbors coins.I've only met him once and I had no idea he was a Morgan Dollar freak like me,accept really loaded. About two weeks ago,in broad daylight this persons house was robbed of $200,000 worth of recently graded Morgan dollars.He says the grading fees alone were $25k? I had no idea it was about stolen coins when the Sarasota Sheriff came over to ask my landlord if anyone saw anything. I just found out today that the thieves took two suitcases full of coins and a laptop with the spreadsheet of them as well. They left a brand new computer in a box sitting in the same room.Lots of other stuff in the house too.They sped off in a white van. Something smells like an inside job? I highly doubt the owner was involved,it's more likely someone close to him.

I agree. Sounds like someone knew what was where, and knew what to took. Wonder how much Ins. he had on those? hm

My landlord told him about my little Morgan habit.He says he wants to meet.Maybe I can get more info.Hope he doesn't suspect me.

WOW.......I wouldn't have those many coins sitting at home and unlocked for that matter.

What gets me is that this is/used to be a closed gated community.The gates are now open all day(the burglary happened during daylight),the guard house is empty and the cameras they use to have were cut and never fixed or replaced.These are 7 to 10 acre estates with outbuildings,very large vehicle storage etc. and finally none of these very wealthy people have their own outdoor camera running.At least my landlord has a walk in safe and a couple of pistols.I imagine things will probably go back to paranoia again for awhile.

These coins have to pop up somewhere. Where is the list of inventory and cert #'s. Way to convenient to say lost on that computer. The TPG"s have records. Could be a very inside job with an insurance scam. Many questions still to be answered.

These coins have to pop up somewhere. Where is the list of inventory and cert #'s. Way to convenient to say lost on that computer. The TPG"s have records. Could be a very inside job with an insurance scam. Many questions still to be answered.

im with you! it is just toooo conveniant to loose both coins and the single computer with the info on it. with a brand new computer sitting right in same room :(

Got a link to any news coverage of this robbery?

Can't find any.Something should have been mentioned in the news,don't you think? if it weren't for the Sherrif and the victim talking to my landlord,I'd have never known.

That does seem odd????? Maybe they are keeping things quiet and setting a trap behind the scenes?

Remember the big FUN show heist a few years back? They made a big deal about the unique 1843 proof set and my first thought was ......... that pretty much guarantees it will never be seen again. It probably ended up at the bottom of a river!!!!!