• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your MAD coins

7 posts in this topic

Misaligned Die that is!

These somewhat common errors occur when the hammer die is off centered, but the coin sits correctly in the chamber. The anvil die strikes a normal strike (centered), but the hammer die comes down off-centered. This is especially common on dimes, for some reason. The unusual affect is that only one side of the coin is off centered. On US coins, this is usually the obverse. There is also vertical misalignment, where the hammer die is tilted such that one side of the dies comes together closer (and thus has a stronger strike than) the other side of the die. A recently posted three-center (I think it was Dwaine's?) exhibited this less common misalignment.

Misaligned die errors are not worth much of a premium, although in extreme cases they are worth something. They don't really have much value until parts of the design are missing - most MADs are so small that the entire design is still present, but the rim is noticeably thicker on one side. I have sold a couple of MAD quarters on Ebay for $1 each.

An interesting effect of a MAD is that while the misaligned side will be fully struck, the centered side usually has weak details opposite the off-centered portion of the coin. You can see this particularly well on the quarter I will post.

I have several MADs, but these are my three best examples. As I mentioned, dimes are the most common coin to find misaligned. Nickels are the second most common, although my nickel is further off-centered than most. The design is cut off at the bottom left, albeit slightly. The quarter (in the next post due to file limits) shows the weakness on the reverse opposite the off-centered portion of the obverse, even though it is centered.

85676.jpg.4b999f25a98e28b1279a6fae044f6bf7.jpg

85677.jpg.cf2f40205a11b4f95ee348c87439974f.jpg

85678.jpg.af717df474c8874899cf9b26a400e9eb.jpg

85679.jpg.8219042c4e088dd294ef99e61ae2f422.jpg

I haven't spent a penny in about a year. I just throw them all into a bucket.

This past weekend I was bored and decided to seperate them by date and mint mark. I have a ton more pennies than I thought lol

I noticed that misaligned dies are quite common on pennies as well.

I noticed that misaligned dies are quite common on pennies as well.

I think it is because the penny and dime dies are the smallest. They must be able to work loose faster or more easily, and to a greater extent than the larger dies.