• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Major news with regards to AT coins hitting the market...BEWARE

40 posts in this topic

Like Lehigh was saying....contrary to what several folks posted in this thread....to the trained eye....several of the coins in this thread are deceptively good. If I saw one of those slabbed Morgans at a show.....I believe I could have been dupped myself and I am pretty confident in my AT/NT radar.

It's hard to say what any of us would think of these coins in person. And, if just one of these coins were being looked at, there are a few that are more convincing than the rest, (though frankly I dont think I would have been fooled). However, we are basing our statements on a group of images presenting all of these coins together. Knowing that, it is very easy to see resemblance in the toning patterns and colors across the group, and to realize that some of the more acceptable coins in the group are actually AT. Again, that is not to say it is merely guilt by association; some of these colors simply dont happen on these respective issues, period. And all of them have a "too good to be true" appearance, at least in the images. But, its not just about color. Surface texture, translucence, the presence of other contamination on the surfaces, etc., can all be used to make a decision one way or another. It takes a seasoned numismatist to know that and to know what the real thing looks like.

Like Lehigh was saying....contrary to what several folks posted in this thread....to the trained eye....several of the coins in this thread are deceptively good. If I saw one of those slabbed Morgans at a show.....I believe I could have been dupped myself and I am pretty confident in my AT/NT radar.

It's hard to say what any of us would think of these coins in person. And, if just one of these coins were being looked at, there are a few that are more convincing than the rest, (though frankly I dont think I would have been fooled). However, we are basing our statements on a group of images presenting all of these coins together. Knowing that, it is very easy to see resemblance in the toning patterns and colors across the group, and to realize that some of the more acceptable coins in the group are actually AT. Again, that is not to say it is merely guilt by association; some of these colors simply dont happen on these respective issues, period. And all of them have a "too good to be true" appearance, at least in the images. But, its not just about color. Surface texture, translucence, the presence of other contamination on the surfaces, etc., can all be used to make a decision one way or another. It takes a seasoned numismatist to know that and to know what the real thing looks like.

I agree with what your saying completely.....some are no brainer AT and some might cut the mustard in hand depending on the type and denomination. Fortunately we have someone who has seen these coins in hand working with us and in hand he thought the coins looked AT so he passed on purchasing a group of these raw. Later on he saw some of the coins he passed on in PCGS holders doh!

i think if the grading companies think its a good market it doesnt matter to them how it became that way. just that lots of people are buying toned coins, regaurdless of the nt/at. so they find a pretty baked coin they slab it so that person and others will send more of the same (which is what is happening)

i think if the grading companies think its a good market it doesnt matter to them how it became that way. just that lots of people are buying toned coins, regaurdless of the nt/at. so they find a pretty baked coin they slab it so that person and others will send more of the same (which is what is happening)

I disagree. That attitude and way of doing business would badly hurt their credibility and reputation.

I disagree. That attitude and way of doing business would badly hurt their credibility and reputation.

Sounds like Ant is using a variation of "Market Acceptable" which hasn't seemed to hurt the TPG business.

Actually, Sacs can and do tone in rainbow colors naturally. Please see my 2000-P on page 2. However, the coin in question shows the exact same color scheme as on the silver coins (and in a randomly splotched on pattern), which calls it out as AT.