• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Side Missing Clap Layer Dime

11 posts in this topic

I have recently found a 1982 P Dime which I understand to be missing the clad layers on both sides as it is the copper color of a penny on both sides. What would I need to do to asses its value where would be the best place to sell it?

I wanted to include the pictures of it but could not figure out how to add it to my post. Email me if you would like to see the pics. Thanks

First off, you need to determine that validity of the coin in question as there are many copper-nickel clad coins which have had the nickel cladding removed with an acid dip. These coins will be smaller in diameter than their "undipped" counterparts as the acid not only removes the cladding but it reduces the overall size of the coin as well..

Physically compare the coin with two "normal" clad dimes. If the diameter of the coin in question is smaller, then you have an altered dime with no numismatic value.

I sandwiched the dime between two normal dimes. The diameter appears to be the same although the tickness of the copper color dime seams a bit thinner.

"Appears" to be the same and "Are" the same are two different things as even a slight difference would indicate an acid dipped coin.

Is the image on the obverse and reverse sharp and distinct or weak?

If they appear to be strongly struck then I would bet that:

a. It's a copper plated coin (most likely)

b. It's a dime struck on a cent planchet (highly unlikely... and I mean extremely unlikely)

Coindude, dime on a cent is "technically" impossible. A cent planchet is larger than that of a dime, and won't fit through the machine, not to say that it doesn't happen once in a blue moon (by human help), but HIGHLY unlikely and nobody in their right mind would purchase one without it being certified.

That was my point as well when I stated extremely unlikely. I like you feel that if that did happen it would have happened with "extra assistance".

Take a look at this though, a double denomination, which I believe occur with the "extra assistance".

http://cgi.ebay.com/1975-CENT-ON-DIME-PLANCHET-ERROR-PCGS-MS-65RD_W0QQitemZ300344877107QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090905?IMSfp=TL090905155002r4274

They call it red although I believe it was struck on a dime planchet just that it got the red color from copper left over on the dies.

If the design is as sharply struck as that seen on a normal dime then it is most likely a discolored normal dime. Enviornmental conditions can result in the clad layers taking on a copper color. One key diagnostic which is always needed in a case like this, and which no one ever seems to ask for, is what does it weigh? In grams to at least one decimal point, preferably two points. If it is truly missing both clad layers it should be SIGNIFICANTLY underweight. Until the weight is known further speculation is meaningless.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

RED?!??! That is silver to me...I suppose all cents need their designation though...

Double denomination 1¢ on 10¢ happen rarely, most likely with help, but they CAN happen without help, especially if some sort of freak accident happened and coins (not planchets) got mixed with planchets (the planchets being the cents and the coins being the dimes). According the the error coin encyclopedia (at least so I think it was) it can happen as long as the planchet for the original denomination is smaller than that of the 2nd denomination, as a 25¢ could be struck over a 5¢ (and I've seen one of these mules, sold for like

$200,000 if I recall).

Cheers.

On another note, Condor is correct on the weight issue. If it is within normal parameters for size and strike, weight is the sight-unseen determining factor here.