• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Peace dollar designs by Chester Beach discovered

11 posts in this topic

Plaster models of 1921 Peace dollar designs proposed by sculptor Chester Beach were recently discovered. They are being sold by Stack’s in conjunction with the Whitman coin show in Philadelphia later this month. The description and images have been posted by Stack's.

This is the only known set of design models by any of the Peace dollar competition participants. Designs by deFrancisci and MacNeil (as in my Renaissance 1916-21 book) are known only from photos.

[Disclosure. I have no financial interest in the models and will not be bidding on them. I assisted Stacks in preparing the catalog description but did not receive a fee.]

Oddly enough, one the memebers from ATS had the image of these three plaster casts and a real nice write up about them to boot. I do not think he posts here.