• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shield Nickel Seeks Expert Opinions

9 posts in this topic

This coin was purchase at local coin shop in Fort Myers Florida in the late 70s. The cardboard holder was tattered so I removed it this morning and photographed, cataloged and put it in an airtite holder.

85535.jpg.eb2c7930d05b6472dbd8f4eca8973d8e.jpg

85536.jpg.a07d71744bb229cb17c3ce64ac0f9cce.jpg

By the looks of it, I'd grade it VF-30 or 35. It is hard to grade these coins from pictures because the strikes were so uneven and inconsistent. 19th century mint employees called the copper-nickel alloy "the devil's copper" because it so hard and brittle. The stuff ate up dies and results in many less than perfect strikes.

The weakness I see in the leaves and the shield might be from wear or could be from the stike. The surfaces look like the have some circulation on them, but the stars on the revese still have their lines. All of this makes these coins hard to grade unless you have them in hand.

By the looks of it, I'd grade it VF-30 or 35. It is hard to grade these coins from pictures because the strikes were so uneven and inconsistent. 19th century mint employees called the copper-nickel alloy "the devil's copper" because it so hard and brittle. The stuff ate up dies and results in many less than perfect strikes.

The weakness I see in the leaves and the shield might be from wear or could be from the stike. The surfaces look like the have some circulation on them, but the stars on the revese still have their lines. All of this makes these coins hard to grade unless you have them in hand.

I'm not convinced this isnt a weakly struck AU+ coin. It appears lustrous and there seems to be very little suggestion of actual wear. There is no way to tell from these images. Just going by detail, it seems like a strong VF30-35.

I'm not convinced this isnt a weakly struck AU+ coin. It appears lustrous and there seems to be very little suggestion of actual wear. There is no way to tell from these images. Just going by detail, it seems like a strong VF30-35.

Yet when I look at the rim on the obverse, all of the denticles seem worn to me, unless that is just lack of detail on a bad strike.

The surfaces look grainy with the green verdigris inside the letters. Given the look, I don’t think that this coin is an AU. Maybe it’s a former AU that was cleaned with baking soda or some other type of abrasive material, but I really don’t see any mint luster, at least from that picture.