• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone know when ANACS stopped being the .............

6 posts in this topic

.........official ANA grading service? Also, how good were they before the change?

I recently received a Boone commem. slabbed ANACS MS64 but in al older holder. It's the type with the ANA logo on the reverse and has 'official ana grade' across the front of the insert. I've not seen an ANACS holder like this one.

IMO the coin is easily undergraded by a point. Perhaps two.

In 1990, the American Numismatic Association sold ANACS; its grading and certification service to Amos Press Inc., owners of Coin World. ANA retained the right to authenticate but not grade coins, and now operates under the acronym ANAAB, the American Numismatic Association Authentication Bureau. Amos Press Inc. retained the ANACS name, but it no longer refers to the American Numismatic Association. Amos Press moved ANACS from ANA headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colo., to Columbus, Ohio.

TRUTH

Actually, there was some controversy and infighting with the Authenification dept. I believe they had a major shakeup at the top. I remember as of last year, a dealer sent in a Pattern for specific weight and specific gravity evaluation by the ANA authentification bureau. It took almost two months to process, then the ANA shipment to the dealer was stolen just after the spring ANA. The dealer told me that the Bureau was in disarray and several employees either quit or were fired. 893frustrated.gif I think they are back up to speed, but lost a lot of credibility in the interim.

TRUTH

I recently received a Boone commem. slabbed ANACS MS64 but in an older holder. It's the type with the ANA logo on the reverse and has 'official ana grade' across the front of the insert. I've not seen an ANACS holder like this one.

That was the one and only slab holder used by ANACS while it was still owned by the ANA. (Before that they used eleven different generations of photocertificates.) It was used during very late 1989 and early 1990.

NGC became the official ANA grading service during the summer of 1995.

ANAAB was voted out of existance at the ANA Convention in August of 2002 and they closed their doors the first week of November of that year

Thanks for all the info.. It's neat to know the coin has been in the same slab for about 15 years. I'm sure the standards were higher then so with that and my opinion of the coin's grade it'd probably get a bump up? I hate to crack it out of that old slab though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'll have to ponder this. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif