• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grades are in..........Guess the grades on these two coins. **Grades Revealed**

16 posts in this topic

Please don't cheat and look at the shared orders page.

These coins were both purchased raw and submitted to PCGS.

Please guess the grade you think each coin graded and put genuine and the reason if you think it didn't grade.

First coin an 1875 S 20 cent piece.

1875so.jpg1875R.jpg

Next is an 1857 Flying Eagle cent.

1857O.jpg1857R.jpg

Before I saw the grades, I had guessed XF40 and MS63. For you guys who guessed AU on the Flying Eagle Cent, where are you (imagining that you are) seeing wear? ;) Look at the eagle - it exhibits a very bold strike, with no hint of wear in areas where it would typically manifest itself..

Before I saw the grades, I had guessed XF40 and MS63. For you guys who guessed AU on the Flying Eagle Cent, where are you (imagining that you are) seeing wear? ;) Look at the eagle - it exhibits a very bold strike, with no hint of wear in areas where it would typically manifest itself..

I am (imagining) I'm seeing darker high points, which indicates to me either rub, or toning. The luster looks full, which probably mean it is MS, but I went with AU as a conservative grade from images. I'm guessing in all likelihood that it probably did get 63 or 64.

And the FE cent graded out at 64. I was expecting 58.

And you had it in hand! Grading borderline coins AU/MS is one of the hardest parts of grading, in my experience.

Congrats on the grades, very nice!

Grading borderline coins AU/MS is one of the hardest parts of grading, in my experience.

I agree, but don't believe that this was one of those instances. ;)

I'd grade the Twenty Cent piece as an EF-40. The Flying Eagle looks like an MS-64, but it may have been dipped. If so that would lower it to MS-63, but in any case that's about as good a strike as you will see for that type.

Thanks for playing.........

The 20 Cent Piece graded out at EF-45. I was expecting 40.

And the FE cent graded out at 64. I was expecting 58.

My grades on these were XF45 and MS63.

The 20C is fully detailed so XF40 wouldnt work, and there isnt enough luster for AU.

On the FE, I can see what looks like rub on the ribbon on the reverse, so I thought maybe AU58. On the other hand, the obv. looks solidly Unc. The reverse picture is blurry so I couldnt say if it was definitely rub, so I would not allow the coin to grade higher than MS63 because I would count that possible rub as cabinet friction (surface abrasion rather than wear), and it would limit the MS grade to 62-63. Perhaps the light color on the ribbon was actually just a variation in the toning, because it graded MS64.