• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trivia Question<><><><><>

9 posts in this topic

There were two commems that celebrated Columbus' arrival. One a classical commem, the other a modern. Technically, that event occurred during the Late Middle Ages.

Also, the modern commem that celebrated the founding of North America by the Vikings... Technically, that occurred during the Late Dark Ages.

I can't find a good example to answer this question...

EVP

Can we define what we mean by the Middle Ages? To me, it's generally a Western European term that starts with the rise of the nation-states *after* the collapse of the Western Roman Empire. Its end typically coincides with the discovery of the Americas by the Portuguese and Spanish explorers.

EVP

Well, I'm not sure how to define middle ages because where I got the idea for this question didn't explain "middle ages." I can give aanother hint though: It has to do with the way a particular letter is made to look.

If you mean IN GOD WE TRVST, as on the Peace Dollar, then I think that's more classical (Roman times) than the Middle Ages.

Yes, it was used by the Roman Catholic Church, but mostly as a legacy of the Classical Age of Western Europe.

The Middle Ages was really known for Knights, Chivalry, Crusades, Christian extremism, torture, and the plague.

EVP

The peace dollar was what I was talking about. Where I got the idea for this question it said that during the middle ages the "U" and "V" were comonly switched around in the writing of that time period. Like the "V" and "W" during the 1800's.

The issue with the V and the U was because Latin didn't have the U as a separate letter in its alphabet. U was a cursive variant of V, and somehow developed over the years on its own.

This was prominent during the Middle Ages simply because High Latin was used by the Church and Common Latin (prior to the vernacular) was used by the commoners.

EVP