• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thinking of attending my first coin show next year. Any suggestions?

10 posts in this topic

I know there are quite a few big shows.

FUN

Baltimore

ANA in Boston

If you have never been to a coin show before which would you recommend? I am looking for some local shows but not finding many in my area.

Haven't been to any of the above shows but if you come to ANA Boston we should meet up. I might have to take that whole week off from work to take the classes, lectures, whatever is going on...

I would seriously recommend a smaller local show before attempting one of the major national shows. You will be overwhelmed and have no idea where to start or what to do.

Where exactly in NC are you? Looking at the calendar, there are a number of shows in NC: http://www.coinshows.com/ncarolina.html

That being said, I would recommend FUN, mostly because of the NGC luncheon. Many forum members go, and its a good time.

Dwaine, there's a show in Greensboro Coliseum next weekend Sep. 4-6. If you want more info, I can tell you about it.

I'd go to that one before trying a larger one.

I went to a Spring ANA show, and it was amazing, but also quite overwhelming.

I'm with Chad. I would highly recommend a smaller show to learn the ropes. Larger shows can be very overwhelming even to collectors who have been in the hobby a bit.

I live in the Charlotte area, but currently without a car so I would need something in Charlotte or Gastonia. I actually live in Mt. Holly, just oustide of Charlotte.

I live in the Charlotte area, but currently without a car so I would need something in Charlotte or Gastonia. I actually live in Mt. Holly, just oustide of Charlotte.

Found this one Sep 11-13: Charlotte, NC, Carolina Coin & Stamp Show, (NEW LOCATION) Metrolina Tradeshow Expo, Building C, 7100 Old Statesville Rd., I-77n Exit 16, Dot Hendrick PO Box 12052, Raleigh NC 27605, (919) 828-9450

My response to your question would be that it depends upon what you want to get out of it.

If you just want to go to any show or to meet other collectors, then just go to the closest one near you. It will be cheaper.

If you are going because you are looking to buy specific material, then as a US coin collector, based upon your location I would either go to the ANA (either one of the two) or a large regional show such as the FUN or the one in Atlanta.

Since I am a world coin collector, the two I have always wanted to attend are the NY International Numismatic Convention and the Chicago Internaitonal Coin Fair. But I've never been to either.

I have been to one local coin show many years ago when I lived in Atlanta. From the standpoint of buying anything, I would classify it as a waste of time. This would be even more true now and even if I collected US coins.

There is the opportunity to actually view coins directly which has some value. But with the internet, there is little to nothing that I could see being available there that cannot be bought elsewhere unless you think you can cherrypick an item or two.

As a couple others said. A big coin show could have you totally confused.Or,you could be fine with it.most stories I've heard are like mine. My first one last year in Sarasota(not a major show) had maybe 50 tables and there was so much to look at,I ended up missing the last third of the tables.

I only had a vague idea what I was looking for or where it might be that I wasted a lot of time looking at stuff I wasn't all that interested in. Go figure. I'll tell you what surprised me though was the prices some of them were trying to get.Way up there.There seemed to be a shortage of anything with color,unless I missed it. But,a couple dealers said there wasn't a lot of interest in that lately.Hmm. Have fun,whichever show you go to.