• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will cleaned copper darken naturally with time???

8 posts in this topic

I just acquired a number of semi-key Lincolns that were"cleaned" with MS-70. Also I have a 1877 Indian which the previous owner "cleaned" with baking soda. Will these coins darken with time??

They will darken, but you might not live long enough to witness it. Therefore, you will want to accelerate the process by putting the coins in an album, or into some other environment conducive to toning.

They will darken, but you might not live long enough to witness it. Therefore, you will want to accelerate the process by putting the coins in an album, or into some other environment conducive to toning.

I've always wondered this - is the use of Deller's (or however it's spelled) Darkener considered a Market Acceptable practice for "restoring" such coins?

I just acquired a number of semi-key Lincolns that were"cleaned" with MS-70. Also I have a 1877 Indian which the previous owner "cleaned" with baking soda. Will these coins darken with time??

If these coins are uncirculated, I would recomend having them professionally conserved at NCS, or sent to someone who is experienced with copper conservation. MS70 usually does not come off without the use of another solvent, and WILL cause spotting in red, orange, and blue if left on the surface of red copper.

As far as the color goes...no mystery there: a coin that is red will darken, just like any other coin, if exposed to the processes that cause this type of reaction, such as an album or other sulferous materials.

I've always wondered this - is the use of Deller's (or however it's spelled) Darkener considered a Market Acceptable practice for "restoring" such coins?

Deller's is used far more often than many collectors realize, and there are countless coins in slabs that have been "touched up". A classic use of the product is simply to tone back down "shiny spots" that may occur if a copper is improperly oiled or brushed, or even just simply mishandled. I have attempted to use it in the past with very mixed success - usually not in the most positive manner, but I am sure it's a lack of skill on my part. On the other hand, I've been shown a number of coins, including a remarkable number of certified coins, that were"touched up", as I alluded to earlier.

So in short, a Deller-ed coin can certainly be market acceptable IF done by an experienced hand.

go to love mart (wal-mart) and buy some rubber bicycle inner tubes the cheap ones made in china that are mostly rubber and sulfur go home and cut flaps of these inner tubes put one copper coin in the middle and wrap it around the coin

put the coin in a bathroom that usually gets really moist and humid from people taking showers etc. put the coin in this bathroom and put the coin on the heating element/grate this should tone up the coin nicely check every few weeks or so

good luck

Years ago when I was first collecting half cents by die variety I bought an 1800 half cent that had been cleaned at a low price. I stored the piece in an envelope that was made of normal, sulfur containing paper. A couple of years later when I upgraded the coin, it looked like an original old copper with nice brown toning. I consigned it too an auction, and it sold for the usual money that an 1800 half cent would bring in EF.

The answer is hairlines and polishing never go away, but if the coin’s surfaces have been badly damaged, as Dr. Sheldon wrote many years ago, over time the coin’s toning and its value will return.