• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wanting to branch into another series

8 posts in this topic

First and foremost I'm a Lincoln Cent collector. Nonetheless I feel like branching into another series that has more recently caught my eye, and continuously barraged it with beauty. Language aside, the series I want to venture into is Peace Dollars. I know nothing of them. If anyone wants to enlighten me on them, as I do not have access to my friendly dealer back home, I would be much obliged. Apart from info, if anyone has some nice examples they would like to part with, I would be happy to make that wish come true.

Cheers,

L1ncolnF4n

Hi There

I can vouch for the fact it is a good read .

I had already started collecting peace dollars when i got the book and have since changed direction in what I buy and have replaced most of what I had .

I have lost the book somewhere while moving so I will have to get another :-)

Anyway Here is a nice 1926 d in pcgs 64 that Coindude got for me in the last Scotsman auction. The strike seems to be all over the place but I like the die crack and the hair is not to bad :-)

peace1926d1.jpg

peace1926d.jpg

I think the Peace dollar set is severely underappreciated - and that is good news for you. It's a very attractive art deco design, you can find well produced coins for virtually every issue, and the whole collection fits very conveniently into a smaller-than-average sized album. This is one set that I believe should be collected UNcertified. Once you get just a little experience, you'll be able to grades these coins fairly easily.

The most important thing to remember is this: greysheet is full retail, which is the good news I was referring to. Therefore, you will be able to consistently buy coins for under wholesale, and I am talking about nice coins. Further, since so many dealers don't bother much with Peace dollars, the coins are rife for cherry picking.

1934-S is the sole exception - you cannot get it for below wholesale, and true BUs are genuinely scarce.

Best of luck with these! I have assembled and sold a couple of BU sets in the past few years.