• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

poor eye sight misjudges auction coin

14 posts in this topic

One of the challenges of poor eye sight. :blush:

But what the heck is wrong/right with this coin?

The strike looks off center and extremely weak between 3 and 6 O Clock.

I appreciate the forum members for helping this novice.

Cheers

85105.jpg.291dece10ef23c1670340ab54800e206.jpg

85106.jpg.9613a9800c960a381f4bca7dd0354710.jpg

The trimes are known for weakness in the III on the reverse, but this one takes the cake as far as weak strikes are concerned. The total lack of detail in the right side of the wreath, and the overall mushiness, are very unattractive to me. It is just barely off center a tiny little bit, not even enough to mention it really. I'm guessing it has had a recent dip, but that wasn't enough (or might have been the cause of) the spottiness on the obverse, especially in front of her face. The dip didn't seem to remove the unattractive brown speckles on her neck and behind her head. I don't know what the red gunk is on the ribbon either.

If there are no traces of circulation (which I'm not convinced of) I would not grade this any higher than MS-61. I don't like this piece.

mint error i love it!!

ever so slightly broadstrike with uneven dies that did not strike out the planchet irreglarities on the obverse of this planchet the marks on the cheek are from the unstruck planchet not fully struck up and out of the planchet

again uneven dies broadstrike

this coin is also not a trime

a trime is a silver three center; this coin is a copper nickel three center 75% copper 25% nickel

interesting coin and i will withhold my grade opinion; true grade opinion and then net grade due to the market acceptability of this mint error and how it looks now with all these things going on with this coin

i could easily write a book about this coin

which i will end here as NO one would read it or care

lol

dies also slightly moved in a fraction of a second with this coin

must be a set up coin when the pressman first put in the dies and was in the end process of adjusting the dies

from just a technical standpoint with no market grading for the mint error

coin is at least very choice unc. if not better

looks like this coin was saved right from the dies

Since the errors on the coin are somewhat minor, I don't know what their premium will be. But I can tell you, from a series standpoint, a 3c is a great piece to have an error on.

To me it appears ever so slightly broadstruck. Normally I would call the doubling strike doubling, but there is legit separation, so you can call it doubled (not a doubled die, but doubled).

It looks like it's seen some sort of chemical that left the surface somewhat fuzzy, but the details are relatively high grade MS (63+ from what I can make out, not that it would ever slab that).

I'd send it to ANACS or ICG. IMO they do a better job with specialty error pieces, and put better descriptions on the holders.

Nice find.

I like it too...and also, as with many of the 3CN's the clashed dies are very evident..along with what looks like a misalignment..very cool piece...nice find

It doesnt appear to be enough offcenter to be labeled, but as a minor error, its interesting. The coin is a late die state with worn die detail, and the dies may have been misaligned (not parallel) and caused the weakness on one side of the obverse.

How do you "Slightly" broadstrike a coin? You have three possibilities either the collar was in place (normal strike), was not in place (broadstrike), or the planchet was partially in and partially out of the collar (partial collar or tilted partial collar strike)

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The dies were simply not parallel to one another, being slightly further apart at the right. This would not have been visible to the press operator until examining the struck coins.