• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT question with indirect importance to a description I am writing...

4 posts in this topic

When did America become a "great power" on the global scale?

I contend it was after victory in the Spanish-American was of 1898, when Spain ceded most of her colonies to American imperialism. Prior to that, we had the Monroe Doctrine, but little overseas possessions of significance. I need a little historic perspective to set the stage for a (major) coin description.

Thanks in advance.

I agree with your perception. Before the Spanish American war, we had little to do with the outside world. This was due to the lingering influence of people like George Washington, who argued in his farewell speech for insularity. However, by the late 19th century, America had grown to the point where she was feeling powerful. Trade and industry had flourished, and we began to envy the colonial empires of the established European superpowers. It was perceived that Imperialism was the path to true greatness on the World scene, and so we began to pursue that course. However, because the Spanish-American war was a relatively small war, and our winnings were comparatively minor, America was still seen as a small player

With the rise of Teddy Roosevelt, the worlds perception began to change. Of course, he is famous for his charge in the Spanish American war. But I believe it was his policies more than anything else that began to really bring us to the attention of the world. Teddy built the Panama canal which revolutionized world trade. And, his policy of "Speak Softly and Carry a Big Stick," aka negotiation backed by force, not only showed the world what we were about, but made the Canal possible. His Great White Fleet was nothing but bravado, meant to show off our growing military capabilities and essentially say "mine's bigger than yours."

I would thus argue that it was Teddy Roosevelt that led us on the path towards becoming a World Superpower.

I would agree with what physicsfan said, but I would contend that most of that was a change of attitude and not really an increase in power. We weren't really a world military power until after WWI. There was a tremendous military build up in Europe in the late 19th and early 20th century, due mainly to intense nationalism. We had no part in this build up, content to sit safe and sound between our oceans. Until WWI, we had no large standing army, and it took us quite some time to mobilize for that war. After the war, however, with most of Europe, we were unquestioningly the greatest military force, in the West anyway.