• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1826 Bust Half.....Does it grade or does it bag?

13 posts in this topic

This is one of those coins that is right on the edge I believe. The reverse is spectacular, with fantastic toning and nice luster. The obverse has been brushed or something and just shows an ever so light cleaning.

I can tell you that Anacs graded this coin on a photo certificate in the early 80's as problem free, but I think they netted it down about 5 points for the obverse.

So what say you, would it bag today?

1826O1.jpg1826R1.jpg

That'll grade. I think the cleaning is just so barely evident that it can be overlooked in exchange for 5 points. I also think this would look better in a PCGS holder than an NGC one from the contrast of the holder color to that of the coin...IMHO

Cheers

I perhaps would have waited until Sept. 1 for the backup system of details grading going into effect. At the least, it would have been encapsulated for future holdings or disposition and not returned in a reuseable flip.

Lots of detail going on in this Bustie, but once again, pictures are not going to tell the whole story on this one.

Either way, good luck and hopefully you'll get a grade.

XF-45, but another coin that likely shouldn't be certified because the expense issue. But I have frequently seen worse coins in holders, and sometimes seen much worse coins in holders. Bust halves of 1826 and 1827 are some of the best and most consistently high quality examples, as yours is.

will grade if not the first time, then possibly second or third time at pcgs

xf/au range

i would leave it raw based on the opportunity cost of coin value vs. slabbing fees

If as you say the observe has been lightly cleaned or brushed it would bag as the TPG’s have become much less forgiving for altered surfaces.

Discounting any issues, details wise I would grade the coin Au 53 - 55.

What did ANACS grade it ?